Wednesday, June 18, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Sight fishing for Snakehead in Roaches Run Waterfowl Sanctuary

Well done, sir. 

Liking that full moon theory.

On Sunday, June 15, 2014 5:51:48 PM UTC-4, Misha Gill wrote:
Hey guys,

I've been driving by it almost every day for a year and a half, and today I finally decided to fish Roaches Run. The result? 3 interested snakeheads. 2 takes. 1 hookup. 0 landed. 

I put in my kayak right around high tide at noon. There were a bunch of other boats already fishing, so I kind of just headed towards a spot where it looked like there would be room. That was straight across and to the left, near the soccer fields and in between the two major vegetation fields (what's the plant called?). There's a bank there with some trees and brush piles. I put on an orange boogle bug and started fishing.

At the beginning of the day, I had completely forgotten that snakehead were a possibility. However, as I wind-drifted the bank, I recognized a snakey looking shadow cruising on the edge of the shore. I tried to lead the fish by two feet but sort of nailed his nose, maybe 3 inches in front. The fish didn't spook. He stopped, and stared. And stared some more. I didn't move the fly. Then the snakehead bit the fly. I think he must have been playing with it because he only got the tail. When I went to set the hook, the point might have flossed his teeth but it didn't find purchase. When the fish felt the hookset, he immediately jumped a good two feet out of the water. Twice; consecutively. So at least I got to see his gorgeous lightning perch markings. 

My pulse did not stop racing for a good ten minutes. I immediately sensed myself entering snakehead mode. I continued to wind drift the bank, and pretty soon I was in a cut in between the aquatic vegetation and the bank. 

I got way back up in the cut. At the dead end, I made a cast towards two stumps and chug-retrieved the popper. 5 feet from the boat, i saw a swirl, but I had picked up the popper. I put it back down in front of the fish, and he put his nose right on it. Then he turned into an Argus. I saw his eyes, and he saw mine. Without rushing, he disappeared into the murky water. 

I fruitlessly fished other spots for another two hours. Saw some gar splash, but not much else. I figured I had rested the bank where I saw the snakeheads well enough though, so I headed back. This time I tied on a green boogle bug, the slider version. 

As I drifted, I spotted a snakehead when it ate something little off the surface underneath a dead tree/twig pile. I made about a 30 foot cast up to the junction of the shore the tree. I had lost track of the snakehead, so I just let the fly sit. After ten seconds, I nudged the fly. The snakehead materialized behind it. It made up its mind to eat. When it ate the fly, it sounded like an alligator gnashing his jaw. This was a big fish. I set the hook and the water exploded. I set the hook hard, and ended up pulling myself towards the fish, and for a moment I wasn't able to keep enough tension on the fish and I stripped furiously. The lucky thing was the fish was facing me when it ate the fly, so it bolted straight out and away from the tree tangles. When I came tight to the fish, she was pretty much right under my boat. Lady's and gents, I kid you not, this fish was at least 30 inches. She dragged me around for a few seconds while he made up his mind what to do. My mistake was not reeling up and utilizing the drag. When she decided to run towards the vegetation, I put too much pressure on her and she popped off, probably cut my 0x with her teeth. 

I don't normally feel regret when I lose a fish, but this would have been a special fish. My first snakehead on the fly, on a topwater fly no less, and a giant specimen. I would have loved to have the picture and the steaks I could have made. After I regained my composure, I reminded myself that I had just had a rare encounter, making me luckier than most. I settled down and fished a bit more before reaching my cutoff time.

A few final observations and theories I would like to share: today is two days after the full moon. A customer who came into the shop one time said that he always had his best luck for snakeheads around the full moon. So that might have had something to do with their willingness to eat today. The other thing is that the water was murky from the recent rains. I think that helped me stay out of the fish's field of vision, and in clearer water I might not have been as successful. Snakeheads have sharp vision, so if you can see their eyes, they can see you and you're done. Food for thought. 

I've had a bunch of smallmouth adventures lately, but the best story involves a wing dam and Miles is tired of hearing it. Hope everybody had a great weekend!

Misha


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/75124db3-10a6-40a5-ad54-c6a1fe53d44c%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment