Wednesday, September 25, 2013

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Tippet/leader size for salmon/steelhead

Hey - I am back from Pulaski, NY and I promised to report it.

On Monday - I went the Salmon River in early morning around 6:30am with 42 degree however 50 fishermen showed up already!! DAMN!! Some were with spin rods and other were use different type of rods that come with similar fly fishing reels - I don't know what it is called. It was so crowd - I hated it but I had no choice and waited until someone fedup and left the spot, then I took over it - in three different places. I used egg patterns like most fishermen used. First 2 -3 hours few of them caught/landed King Salmon and some broken off. All day I did not get any feeling bits or pulls- eggs and traditional flies did not work well. I did it at fly fishing zone (still crowd) at lower area in Altmar. It was lousy day! I went back hotel, surface information online, found some reports and got some feedbacks from a friend of mine who goes there every year. He suggested me to try smaller of natural flies - King salmon are not dumb and wont take egg pattern most time. I looked in my flies boxes and I did not bring everything- AHHHHH... Then I saw some woolly - OK why not to use them tomorrow!!

On Tuesday and showed up 5:30 AM at different place and the fishermen already showed up there - around 30! Anyway....it was slow for 3 hours and only 3 of them caught steelhead and king salmon. I decided going back to fly fishing zone again and found good spot (not really - only 10 feet between each other). After 3rd casting, BIG pull surprised me!!! I was so thrilled and reeling fast, suddenly it flied out of water in front of me - 5 feet above water, after three minutes - BROKEN OFF!! I was liking cry babyyyyyy at the point. After several casting, it did again and broken off.....It was killing my feeling....I decided to change to 0x from 2x. After almost one hour of casting, BIG pull again.....All I was thinking - TAKE YOUR TIME - TAKE YOUR TIME......It jumped and jumped liking bullfighter and tug of war ....I had to ride with it for 15 minutes and finally landed it!!! YEAHHHHHHHH! biggest fish I have caught in my life!!! What a great feeling!!! Asked person to take a picture for me. I barely hard to left it when I was holding its tail. I needed to release it quickly and decided to HUG it as shown as "How much I love it" !!! Then released it. I did had 4th pull and broken it again. Then Woolly were not useful after most noon. It was most awesome day!!! ;-) 

Richard



On Sunday, September 15, 2013 8:27:49 AM UTC-4, Richard DeafFly Lin wrote:
Hi - I am preparing to fishing king salmon and/or steelhead in NY next week. It would be my first time. I read stories from different web sites that people caught the fish weight average 15 lbs - steelhead to 30 lbs - king salmon. Will the tippet 0X ok with it? Should I use float line? people said that they lost a lot of egg patterns or hook with sponge and I assumed that sink line is bad chose? I will bring two hands rod with weight 8. Anything I should know? Thanks for your tips or suggests.

Richard

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/23cce93c-9bb1-48e6-b617-c14b286fb1b5%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment