Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Curve casts

Sure Dalton -- I use a fairly crappy reach cast sometimes with dries, but more often than not I seem to use a "drag" mend when fishing wets.  I know it is poor presentation, but usually with current I figure most fish aren't aware of the initial drag before the swing ;).  Sometimes I'm able to mend over big rocks in current without the fly moving at all, but I only nail it about 10% of the time.  Usually I jerk the fly a bit -- too heavy handed and impatient, and unskilled.  

Actually, mending is one of those things that I think most people would learn naturally without any teaching simply because it's the only way to get a natural drift in current.  What I mean is that I think most people would figure out to keep the fly line upstream of the fly (reach cast) during the actual cast just due to experience with the results of NOT doing it (obvious drag).  If that makes sense.  A caveman would be mending with no instruction in 1-2 days of fishing.  And not only the Geico ones.  

I was using a curve cast the other day to actually put beetles around this bush to reach a good spot -- so not really an instance for a reach cast so much as a true curve.  I get "okay" results with the overpowering (tuck cast) kind of curve, but not the twister kind.  

Gene

On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:39:18 PM UTC-4, Dalton Terrell wrote:
Gene,

Have you already tried reach mending? Unless you are casting around an obstacle, this is much easier to get correct than curving the cast. Check out this good video if you are not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14njsZy47qg 

Dalton

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/259cab9e-1faf-46cd-ad0e-94b664a69976%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment