Monday, July 22, 2013

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Riverbend weekend fishing report

Hey everyone-

I'm relatively new to fly fishing (grew up on spinners) and have started putting in some time exploring Riverbend park lately. I went out on Sunday morning trying to catch the water before the temperature at the Little Falls gage hit 90. I spent a few hours or so just north of Black Pond and then up near the pipeline easement. I picked up a few 6 inch smallies and a couple of equally small bluegill mostly on top of the shallows near the banks -- chartreuse boogle popper did well as did some basic attractors. Nothing I sent deep did any good, even though I hit some promising looking holes, and most of the action I got was in still water.

I spoke to a couple of other fly rodders drifting by on kayaks and heard the same story from them. Nothing big, nothing deep.

I have to assume it's got something to do with the extremely high temps (I didn't think a river could hit 92 degrees). The tops must have more oxygen in them, drawing the little guys up, but it doesn't tell me where all the big ones are hiding. I'd take any hints y'all have. I'm going to wait until things cool down a bit and try again.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/b640adb0-c062-4097-ab07-4d829204e1c0%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment