Friday, July 26, 2013

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: The Confluence

Hey Aden-

I was planning on going down to the Rapp tomorrow morning around the rt. 1 bridge (because of ease of access), but I have always been tempted by the legendary confluence.  I tried to scout it out once but got lost on the dirt roads.  How do you get there?

I'm taking two fly beginners out with me so maybe we'll see you on the river!


On Friday, July 26, 2013 1:21:33 AM UTC-4, Aden wrote:
I went to the confluence of the Rapidan and Rappahannock Rivers today.  Due to traffic from a late start due to a late night, I didn't hit the water until about 3:30pm.  That didn't matter.  I just wish I had been there earlier to fish all day.  The river was clear and a little cool.  Wading was easy.  The average smallie was 12 to 14 inches with the biggest over 18.  The average sunfish was 8 inches and REALLY aggressive.  Lots of fun on a 4 wt.  The sunfish hit everything and the bass hit everything too.  A foam hopper like pattern I tied with green and black foam produced explosive strikes from both species.  The bigger bass were deeper and liked an olive and white clouser or an all black with red krystal flash clouser, both size 6.  Damsel nymphs produced too.  

As fun as the bass were, I had forgotten how aggressive the sunfish are here.  They repeatedly became airborn during the strike!

I am probably going back tomorrow and might even camp so I can get the morning action on Saturday.  


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/443dbf8a-a89b-4223-8ebb-291710f093ab%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment