Thursday, January 31, 2013

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Warm weather hatch

Wait - "blue tailed skink" is probably the juvenile coloration for the 5-lined skink ;).  -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plestiodon_fasciatus

Cool pics Rob -- caddis, helgrammites and stoners all are a pleasant surprise to me!  

Gene

On Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:46:29 PM UTC-5, Rob Snowhite wrote:
On the subject of bugs and more, Holmes Run below Barcroft has a plethora of bugs. I stocked my classroom fish tanks from that stream when I was a teacher. Everything from hydra (freshwater jellies), dapnia, planaria, (blue) crayfish, japanese trapdoor snails, generic snails, cress bugs, scuds, hellgrammites, green rock work caddis, and more. Loads of blue tailed skinks along the stream crossings too. I do most of my sampling below the 3rd crossing. As for being bit by a hellgrammite, I had one in my shoe that bit me back in 1993. I put it on a hook and caught 7 smallies on it before it broke apart. I had one get into my shirt and was on my stomach a few summers ago. Reminded me of the leech scene from Stand By Me.

The hellgrammites ate pretty much everything in my tanks.

Here are some images:

I will look for some more pics from around here. Cory Routh (kayak fishing book author)  told me that all the scuds in the water are a sign of poor water quality.


On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:18:44 PM UTC-5, Aden wrote:

I am no entomologist so I wonder if anyone can identify this? There were thousands coming off the water at Great Falls today in the warm sun.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/v_0Z3yruUCYJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment