Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Day trip suggestions for local Northern Virginia fishing this weekend

Your best bet for the Gunpowder would be to swing by Backwater Angler that morning. It's right near the stream and they'll be able to give you an up to date stream report and give you (well, sell you) a bunch of flies that should produce. 


On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Aaron O <aaron@jorgeinc.com> wrote:
Hey Brendan,
 
Thanks for all the good info.  After talking it over with my friend, we are now thinking to go check out the Gunpowder since he has never been there.  All of my experience has been Bass/striper/Shad fishing using streamers so this is very new to me.  I do have a couple questions.
 
    While I am very interested in fishing nymphs (my new years resolution), I will say that I have never had any success with nymph fishing yet.  Luckly my friend does trout fish with nymphs so he can give me some tips.  I will be buying 5X tippit and some new nymph flies tomorrow since I don't have any that small. I will get some #16 copper john or princes like you suggested but I am open to other suggestions.  I also just checked Orvis's fishing reports online for the Gunpowder and they are suggestions #8 black Matuka, #14 Stewart Spiders, #14 Waterhen Bloa and #14 Grouse and Hert.  I'm not sure what any of these are but I will be checking with the local Orvis store to clarify.
 
    I will definately also go with 3-4x tippet and fish small streamers as a backup option.  You mentioned smaller clouser styles with lots of flash.  It hould like your talking about something between a clouser and a shad dart.  What size hooks are you thinking about?
   
    Now a question or two for everyone.  It was mentioned about the second stocking of holmes and accotink, Does any one know when generally the first and second stocking usually happens? I have a friend that lives near accotink and he was under the impression that they have not stocked that creek in 2 to 3 years. I thought they did but did not have any definite info or dates to give him.
 
     The map shows gunpowder river as a national state park.  Do I need any special licenses or permits other than a MD fresh water license and a trout stamp?
 
 
    As far as the weather, we are planning to go saturday morning so hopfully the next couple day will not be too hard on the area. 
 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/NknslwlIzLQJ.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment