Thursday, January 31, 2013

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Fly Fishing New Zealand

Jereme

I am envious of you. I was in New Zealand in 95. It was the best fishing trip of my life. Every fish I caught was the biggest I ever caught. 

I fished the South Island. We were based in Nelson (northern end of the South Island) for 3 days. We stayed at a bed and breakfast and had a guide pick us up every day to fish around Nelson. Nelson is a fun town. We spent another 4 days at Lake Rotoroa Lodge. The Lodge sent someone to Nelson to transport us to the lodge. When we were at the lodge we traveled 10 to 20 miles each day to the various rivers in the area. In all that time we saw one other angler. At the Lodge, the measure of a great visit was a 10 pound or bigger fish! I didn't get one that big, but about half of the guests did. If you have the time and the money for a stay at a lodge like that, I highly recommend it. If not at least go for a guide.

One of the things I found interesting about fishing  in NZ was the way the guides spotted fish. The guides would walk ahead of us searching for fish. Once they spotted one, my buddy and I would take turns working the fish. The fish were so much bigger than what i was use to, spotting them was not as big a problem as one might think. We rarely worked fishy looking water. Almost exclusively we fished at a specific fish. Normally these fish did not seem to be feeding, but generally would take a fly. Almost all of them took drys. 

The remoteness of the area was wonderful. One day we fished a river near a village, and the guide was very concerned, because he saw a set of foot prints along the river. He was concerned because someone had recently fish the area that it might spoil the fishing. It turned out to be a great day. 

The people in NZ were the nicest people I have ever met. They were extremely helpful and welcoming. 

Have a great trip and post some pics.

Don

On Jan 31, 2013, at 9:05 PM, Jereme Thaxton <jeremethaxton@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Paul, 

Thanks for the heads up on the book, I will definitely check it out!  Really enjoyed the podcast as well.  I did some preliminary internet research and up until now most of the resources I found are travel agencies that sell fly fishing trips alongside whale watching excursions, but I will keep digging.  I might just book a trip out of Christchurch.  This place has been on my bucket list for so long, I absolutely have to wet a line while I am there one way or another.

God save the queen,

Jereme


On Jan 31, 2013, at 10:18 AM, Paul Moinester <pgmoines@gmail.com> wrote:

I have never fished New Zealand, so I don't have any recommendations for spots to hit.  However, I do have a reading recommendation for you - THE TROUT DIARIES, A Year of Fly Fishing in New Zealand.  I read it this year and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It's a great book and will definitely get you excited about fishing in New Zealand.  While the book is much more a fly fishing story than a guidebook, the author does a good job of dissecting different regions and seasons, which can provide some guidance as to where to focus your research.  You can hear a long interview with the author Derek Grzelewski on this Fish Schtick podcast - http://mauromedia.com/podcast/fish-schtick-episode-97-derek-grzelewski/


Safe travels and tight lines,

Paul


On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:18:19 PM UTC-5, Jereme Thaxton wrote:
I have a film shoot scheduled on the South Island of New Zealand for a couple weeks in March and would love to do some fly fishing when not working.  Has anyone fished there and could you offer any insight to fishing this far off land filled with mountains and hobbits?  We will be shooting mostly around Kaikoura and I imagine will fly there via Christchurch.  I have heard of phenomenal brown trout fishing and so was planning on leaving a week early to devote to the mission.  Any advice is certainly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jereme

www.jeremethaxton.com
www.freestoneentertainment.com

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/2C9XhETS5W4J.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment