Friday, November 6, 2020

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: New to the area

Welcome,
For tenkara search out the Brookies in Shenandoah National Park.  Lots of places to hit.  I like the Rose river fire road because its not to busy and on my side of the park.  November is normally a no no time for most guys because they are on reds spawning,  but April - October is prime.  Also lots of nice creeks for small mouth,  largemouth and bluegills close by.   even rock creek has a few.

I am not a striper guy,  but an 8wt would do just fine for anything swimming in the tidal basin.  

I also encourage you to check out District Angler in Cherrydale.  Great independent shop that will put you on some fish.  


On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 3:51:26 PM UTC-5 jefferson....@gmail.com wrote:
The Orvis guy at Clarendon told me about this group. I imagine the stuff I have most likely would be fine here (8 wt and above) at least as far as something like stripers go. The thing is, I've never fished for, much less fly fished for stripers. I am sure it is safe to say I do not know what I am doing. Most of the gear I have is set up for kings and silvers on the Kenai (or some more grimier 12 wt. stuff for Ship Creek) in Alaska. And mostly that's just catching fish more than it is fishing for fish if that makes sense. 

For trout, I like using a longer fast action tenkara rod that's probably better with shallow fast moving water. 

Any help on where there might be shallow fast moving water where's there's trout and the times of year or anything--any insight into how to catch stripers with a fly rod, i.e., kinds of line, size of hooks, flies, where, how, etc., would be appreciated. 

v/r
Jefferson 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/d64c59b2-cc37-4b54-873b-09becaa2f5cfn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment