Thursday, November 12, 2020

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Fly tying starter gear

Hi All,

Picking up this thread because I'd like to get started tying my own flies this winter, and have been looking at the many of the various entry-level fly vise + tool sets on the market. I'd like to try things out to make sure I enjoy it and gain a bit of experience before I level up to a more serious vise and set of tools.

Do folks in the group have recommendations of which beginner set has the highest quality tools for the price?

Alternatively, does anyone have a vise and tools that you no longer use sitting around and would be willing to sell?

Thanks,
Ethan

On Sunday, March 8, 2020 at 9:38:36 PM UTC-4 Jamie Carracher wrote:
I also agree with the comment about buying supplies based on the patterns you want to tie. Its easier that way to get the hang of it. Another thing I'd suggest is not skimping on the material quality. I personally buy everything at District Angling. But I did buy some bugger maribou at a cheap place in Ohio out of curiosity and the quality was terrible. It was super stringy and the action in the water was horrible.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/fcfce7ff-13fe-422b-9616-7e13516fde36n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment