Monday, September 14, 2020

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Next rod

I have become found of matching rods with reel kits; one complete reel and two spool.  Lampson offers all models as kits.  You can purchase different styles of lines to maximize the performance of your new rod.  The most important thing is to find equipment that suits your needs.

On Monday, September 14, 2020 at 9:07:31 AM UTC-4 robert...@gmail.com wrote:
I'd put a TFO BVK up against any high end rod in the 7-8 wt category. I like them so much I have 2. 

On Monday, September 14, 2020 at 7:48:16 AM UTC-4 eowill...@gmail.com wrote:
What a fun question! 

I'm guessing that you'll want to go with a 8 wt if most of your fishing is heavier freshwater (largemouth?). Length would be partially determined by your primary type of fishing situation (shorter for tight quarters, longer if you'll be fishing from a drift boat or usually dealing with multiple currents). 

While there's no comparison to seeing how a particular rod suits your casting style, these reviews have helped me narrow my decision-making process in the past: 

A few years back, I went with the TFO BVK for throwing big bugs on a bass taper and big streamers on a sinking line. Just be aware that the the weight will take a bit of time to get used to. 

Best, 
Owen Williams


On Sunday, September 13, 2020 at 10:32:27 PM UTC-4 chi...@gmail.com wrote:
I have a 9ft 5wt and a 7ft orvis encounter combo which is also a 5wt (although it seems much lighter than my other rod).  I'd like to add a heavier rod to my arsenal - ideally something I can do heavier freshwater fishing and some basic shore-based salt water fishing with.  What weight and length would add the most diversity to my current setup? Any recommended brands (both my rods are orvis right now).

Thanks!

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/4f041182-8746-4df4-83a2-83bad4bd034dn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment