Thursday, September 17, 2020

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Gunpowder Falls

I fish it a few times a year after the didymo breakup dies down, so I start in late May and fish it through early fall, knocking off before the spawn. It can be terribly tough--or great, depending on the day. In the longer slower riffles there, I like to swing soft hackles, orange for sulfurs in early summer, green for caddis later on, including in the fall. With the very low flows right now, small and gentle will be key.  Small softhackles swung down and across are worth a try. You should see some caddis and a partridge and green can be a fair imitation. You should have some little tricos on hand, but frankly my better luck when the tricos are out is dropping a little WD-40 or RS-2 off the bend of a small dry. Like Jeff said, ants are also worth a try. A few Octobers ago in better flows, I fished a size 14 tan elk hair caddis with a chartreuse brassie off the bend and in the middle of the day I could do no wrong with fish split between the two.

With these low flows (30 CFS this morning), I'd be thinking small dries (16 caddis or griffith's gnat) with tiny droppers and my guess is you'll have more luck on the droppers, like size 16-20 brassie, pheasant tail, WD-40 or RS-2. And I'd expect the dry to mainly be my indicator.

My two cents.

It has two fly shops tuned in: Backwater Angler and Great Feathers. I'll generally start my day with a stop in at Backwater Angler.

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 10:25:06 AM UTC-4 jimmyb...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi all,

Just curious if anybody has fished Gunpodwer Falls near Falls Rd in Parkton?  Thinking about heading there this weekend. 

Went about 1 month ago with no luck but saw some fish rising and missed a couple. Using beetles and ants with small drop nymphs. 

Any intel would be much appreciated. 

-Jimmy


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/2fb189f6-d957-4706-9e2f-fe72795c8458n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment