Monday, September 21, 2020

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Patterns to tie for the DMV

My tying skills are pretty rough (I'm not doing gamechangers), but my go-to trout streamer switched from a wooly bugger to a slumpbuster this year. I still like buggers and regularly tie them but I think the squirrel strips look more realistic in the water and I've had more luck with them. 

When going after bass I still stick with buggers or clousers with some element that is eye catching to hopefully get attention. I know it's sacriledge but I've also been thinking about flies that may compare to effective lures. I'm curious about experimenting with flies that translate what works with conventional gear on a fly rod. Kind of a fun challenge. 

I haven't done much top water fishing this year, but I really like gurgler patterns for larger game and foam ants for brookies.


On Monday, September 21, 2020 at 12:54:05 PM UTC-4 James M. wrote:
Hi Josh,

I've really never tied (although the last 6 months have definitely gotten my interest up), so I really have no idea if these are easy to tie or not. I think you might be on to something with terrestrials, though - a foam beetle might be super effective and seems like it might be pretty easy to tie (but this is just me speculating).

Trout:
Elk Hair Caddis
Stimulator
Hare's ear

Warmwater:
Green Damsel Nymph (I love this fly for bass)
Wooly bugger (might be cool to experiment with kreelex, as well as tail length for leech/lizard/minnow emulation)
Clouser minnow

The other thing that was all the rage about 5 years ago that might be really effective around here was the mop fly - they're just a nugget taken off one of those dust mops and lacquered to a hook, but the internet said they were really great.  I would think they'd be ok for both trout and warmwater and instructions should be readily available online.

Have fun

- J

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 7:54 AM Josh <joshua.fr...@gmail.com> wrote:
While stuck at home these past couple of months I decided to try to teach myself how to tie flies.  All of the resources I have been using have emphasized that beginning tiers should focus on the 4-6 patterns that are likely to be the most productive in your local area.  I definitely have not done that so far, but after having varying success with a number of flies (great deer hair beetle that caught fish vs a terrible griffiths gnat that fell apart when I took it off the vice) I started to wonder what would be the best flies for me to practice tying for fishing in the DMV.  

Setting aside shad flies, which of course I will be tying in January and February, I'm wondering what the TPFR hive brain thinks are the best 3-4 trout flies and best 3-4 warm water flies that a beginning fly tier should focus on for fishing success in the DMV. 

Thanks in advance!

Josh

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/ffaed2ca-be23-4ac1-bf14-ebfc2e6d43e9n%40googlegroups.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/12fc249c-57a4-4edd-b393-5c2f2398d883n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment