Wednesday, July 11, 2018

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Fort Lauderdale/Lake IDA....

Good to hear I can be useful for once! I grew up in the area and I spent my college summers, winters, and spring breaks fly fishing there. Lake Ida is a cool spot because you'll get a shot at invasive Clown Knifefish as well. I've never really chased them, so I can't really give you any pointers besides targeting structure like you would for bass. 

Besides that, I'd say your best bet for peacock bass in the Ft. Lauderdale area is Weston, a city west of Ft. Lauderdale just next to the everglades. The city is full of interconnected lakes and canals that are full of healthy populations of peacock bass and largemouth. In fact, I've seen way more nice sized peacocks in recent years than in the past. I'd say the fishery there is one of the best in the south florida area. You'll also find plenty of invasive mayan cichlids, particularly during this time of year. You wont need anything other than floating line here, none of the lakes are too deep and even when they are the fish will be cruising at or near the surface. 

If you'd like I can PM you some additional pointers and specifics.

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 4:01:57 PM UTC-4, peter odell wrote:
I'm going down to Southern Florida for some summer fishing next week.  Peacock  bass on lake Ida early in the morning and snook under the lights from 10 pm to 6am another day with guide.

I have a full day on my own with my friend from Seattle - where to fish, where to rent a boat, fresh or salt?  Any pointers appreciated.

Taking a full complement of rods/gear (6,7,8, float, interm, sink) so open to all.  

Pete

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/f4a9798f-2154-4cfc-a649-552a7711c80c%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment