Thursday, September 7, 2017

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Bass and snakehead rod/line/leader recommendations?

I used to do the same thing -- particularly with heavy shooting heads, you have to really, completely not think of "casting" them in any way that you would a floating line.  That was my mistake.  It is really much better to think of lobbing them in a much wider arc (I hesitate to say "loop") and to aim much higher when you let the line fly. 

I still don't really enjoy using them and I do own matches and some diesel fuel. 

Gene

On Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 8:08:54 AM UTC-4, James Ovelmen wrote:
Between my Dad and I we have many of the Sage Bass 1 & 2 rods in the various sizes. They are great rods, but really do fish best with the fly line that comes with them. I have used a sink tip and full sink line with a couple of the models and find I hit myself and/or the rod more than I would like. I found it hard to match a sinking line with those rods.

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 9:42:56 AM UTC-4, DJ wrote:
Looking for a short fly rod(s) for fishing around cover/structure for largemouth bass, snakeheads and stripers from a canoe and kayak.  Has anyone had a chance to fish the Sage Bass rods and the Recon 7'11" 8 or 9wt?  Does one hold an advantage over the other? Is one better with sink tip line?  I've read more reviews of the Sage rod, but like the warranty and proximity of Orvis stores.  Is a 9wt overkill for this application?  I use a 9' 7wt for smallmouth, but would prefer not to beat that rod up in the boat and pulling large fish from weeds.  Also, do folks have a preference for line or leaders with rods like this?   Thanks!

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/7df1fae8-711d-483f-b60a-169f76017c2a%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment