Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Pond of Giants

After looking through some older posts and the google map, I decided to scout out what someone here called the "Pond of Giants." With a name like that, how can I resist?

The original post had detailed instructions on how to get there. Basically, it's over bear the Billy Goat trail bear Carderock. Unfortunately, I couldn't test the instructions because what was obviously the trail we were supposed to take was roped off with a sign to please use the official trail. In my youth, maybe I would have jumped it, bury with my 13 year old boy standing next to me, I decided to obey the rules (and possibly the law).

So we hopped on the Billy Goat trailhead nearest the parking area. I now believe it's called the Billy Goat trail because need to be a billy goat to hike it! It took us about an hour to make it to the pond, with lots of ups and downs on the way.

Almost immediately, I saw the last inch or 2 of something huge and slow (probably a carp) heading for cover under the lilly pads. We took our shots with a variety of poppers, streamers, and everything in between. My son gave up chasing monster carp and bass and targeted the pan fish hanging out near the banks and pulled in a half dozen blue gill. I kept trying for the big ones and came up empty.

All in all, if you can get there, there are a couple of big lunkers in there, but getting there is no simple task. And you have to put up with spectators who have never seen a live fly angler before. I don't mind too much, but I'd rather not have people watching my ugly casts, uglier given the right space for back casting.

I'm not sure I'd do it again, the hike took its toll, including losing the sole from one of my ancient work boots on the way back. If they re-open the short cut, I might take a shot, though. Those were big fish in there.

Best of luck!!

-Jim

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/2984c592-7d06-4055-8e33-e47563cf3ae9%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment