Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} microfishing with flies = regular-sized fun



Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 26, 2017, at 12:34 PM, TurbineBlade <doublebclan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I suspect microfishing receives about as little respect as regular fishing does at an average PETA meeting. So anyone wanting to criticize should be well-aware of just how stupid all catch and release fishing really is to most bystanders ;). However, I've found micro to be an absolute blast and wanted to share some experience with it since it is relatively new, fringe, and has no real rules or accepted practices, at least as far as I can tell.
>
> Why it is fun:
>
> - virtually all waters have smaller fish species, even if void of larger-growing species
> - virtually no one is doing this, so you're unlikely to be bothered by other people fishing
> - you're already weird for wearing a rubber suit, so you might as well become more weird
> - gear is not technical
> - contrary to what you might think , it is NOT at all easy to catch some of these dudes....really, try it.
> - teaches you a lot about streams, even the ones you've fished for years (e.g., which habitats or microhabitats are utilized by different species, fish behavior)
> - promotes the same experience/love for nature that any other outdoor activity does
> - is no less predatory than any other stalking/fishing activity; possibly is more so
> - if you keep native fish in aquariums like I've done for 2 decades, it is a no-brainer
>
> So far I've only caught a handful of species, including blacknose dace, tiny sunfish species, creek chubs, satinfin shiners, and a mosquitofish. Since I'm fishing over water I've kick sampled, I know what species are there and where they tend to be located, so I expect this list to grow. I'm targeting tessellated darters and yellow bullheads soon.
>
> Tackle: So far I've used my Carl Z 6' fiberglass fly rod, which works very well for this kind of fishing. I've also used a 11' "fixed line" pole, and a 6' "fixed line" pole. All 3 work just fine -- an UL spinning rod would also work, and some people prefer that.
>
> Flies: Anything small works, with stuff in the #24 range being ideal. I've mostly used midges behind a larger dry fly as a "bobber". For benthic species, the same midge with a bit of shot works better. I need to get some paint for my split shot so I can see it better.
> Note that hook shape is important, with basically the shortest hook point being the best option, if you have them. If you check out tenkarabum, you'll see "tanago" hooks which are basically made for this kind of fishing, and they tend to have very tiny hook points. I've not used them, but plan to soon.
>
> (I may use bait at some point to increase my species and add some variety -- so cover your ears if you don't like that)
>
> Leader/tippet: not critical in my opinion thus far, but I've used 6-7x because it goes through the hook eyes.
>
> I'm happy as a clam going out and targeting mummichogs or creek chubs -- not everyone will be interested in this, and that's fine with me. However, I suspect some number of fly fishermen probably have at least a mild interest in this kind of thing, so here is a topic for anyone searching the forum for "microfishing" in the future.
>
> I did get out and do some regular fishing "somewhere off the Potomac" recently and caught a mess of small LMB (nothing over 12") and hooked my first ever koi, but the fish escaped!!! I was very, very disappointed. Calico one -- probably released by someone.
>
> Note - The golden shiner and yellow bullhead were fly-caught, but not on purpose via microfishing.
>
> TB
>
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com<mailto:tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com>.
> To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com<mailto:tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/da4085bd-018c-416f-a3a2-95a28fb2eaaf%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/da4085bd-018c-416f-a3a2-95a28fb2eaaf%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
> <Resized_20170916_145323.jpeg>
> <Resized_20170916_151415.jpeg>
> <Resized_20170916_145418.jpeg>
> <bullhead.jpeg>
> <golden shiner.jpeg>
Could not agree more with you, TurbineBlade. My first exposure to this type of microflyfishing was in the TPFR tourney. Finding, targeting, catching and landing these little guys is so addictive. But then I went out last week and caught this monster and my course quickly corrected. Sorry for hijacking your thread - just couldn't resist :) absolute fish of a lifetime for me!

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/024AC7C5-C965-4A27-A83A-C7C15515FB4C%40ScheerPartners.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment