Saturday, June 17, 2017

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Watch out for ticks

Having been a forester in the South for a long time and having had a tick born parasite that was caught in time, this is no freakin' joke.

If you have been in  the woods do a tick check. Look everywhere, but most importantly around your beltline and nether regions. Enlist an open minded helper.

If you find an embedded tick, mark that date on your calendar. If you have any "bullseye" redness or if you develop flu like symptoms, go immediately to your doctor and tell them you think you have lymes disease and tell them to give you a shot of antibiotics right then and have them draw blood and test for tick born parasites. Test takes 24 hours. They will likely give you another shot and put you on amoxycilin for at least 15 days. If you get it within the first 10 days, you won't have any lasting issues. 

I used to wear dog flea & tick collars on my boots (no skin contact!) with my pants over the collars. Worked like a charm for ticks and chiggers. Would only occasionally find one on my neck or face once I started wearing collars.  

Image result for the more you know


On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 9:35:34 AM UTC-7, tatu...@gmail.com wrote:
Yeah...the creepy/crawly things.

My meeting finished early yesterday down in the Dahlgren Virginia area yesterday so decided to get some flies wet.  Parked in the shade of a small lake and as I put on my gear and built up my 4-piece rod, looked down at my feet and there was an army of deer ticks crawling up my legs. 

Got them off then walked out in the more direct sunlight and fished for the next few hours without seeing anymore.

Back at my truck getting ready to leave, taking off my gear/breaking down the rod....the horde of ticks were making their reattack on me with vengeance.  Seems they were in the shaded areas and just swarming in the grass. 

Keep an eye out. 

Cheers
Collin

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/0bfe079f-6791-4008-824e-1c88067143c4%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment