Tuesday, March 28, 2017

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: 2017 shad season has begun

I fished Chain Bridge this afternoon.  Cast out a chinelle body fly a bunch, switched to a snowhite damsel, then a shad puff.  Finally hooked into one little guy with the shad puff after about 1.5 hours of casting.  It was pretty crowded down there, and I couldn't find a good place to get a decent backcast to hit the seam.  Plus I had my 5wt out there, which I can't get out much more than 40 feet or so due to my limited casting skills.  I moved over to a rock closer to the seam the last 20 minutes I was there (because the guy on it just left), and thats when I finally landed a fish.  Cast out about 40+ feet to a seam, let it drift down (sinking line) about 20 seconds, then stripped in pretty quickly and got the hit.  

There sure were a lot of fish trying to get up into Pimmit.  So many that it was hard not to foul hook one when stripping the end of your line back in.  Even so, I almost got skunked.  Hard to say if I wasn't quite getting out to the seam, or the run isn't quite going gangbusters yet, but the spincasters didn't seem to be doing a whole lot better.  I only saw maybe 7 fish landed the two or so hours I was down there.



On Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 4:50:39 PM UTC-4, Evan D wrote:
Yea, no need for the PFD just fishing from rocks, unless you want it.  However, if you're planning to push the limits with wading, a PFD certainly can't hurt.  Good luck!

On Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 12:13:20 PM UTC-4, Yambag Nelson wrote:
If it makes you feel safe, go for it but it is totally unnecessary IMO.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/d24ab501-958e-4f0c-be56-f9905c6c6777%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment