Monday, March 27, 2017

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Neabsco Learnin' Hole

Not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but being new to fly fishing and gathering so much info from this group, I wanted to contribute.  I spent yesterday out at Neabsco Creek which has a nice put in at Hampton's Landing Marina (pay $5) or you can also use Blackburn Rd. and a kayak cart to get in as well (free).  Yesterday I paddled from Hampton's as my fishing buddy doesn't have a kayak cart yet and had a pretty great day.  The Blue Herons are out in numbers now and the fishery near the water treatment plant output is finally starting to produce again.  Yesterday I caught white perch, golden perch, 2 dozen+ bream, and a couple of LMB.  I've really used this place to discover how to cast a fly, strip line, and hook and land fish.  I know we all want to catch trophy stripers, but for the guys out there that just want to put a bend in the rod or take someone out that's new to fishing this is a great spot.  The flies I like best are the Elk Hair Caddis for bream and perch and woolly buggers of black and craw color for all species.  

Also, on the paddle back I saw at least 8-10 snakeheads surfacing and I was told that the bow hunting boats were out there on Saturday pulling them in, so if anyone targets them specifically it sounds like they're coming up from their beds now.  I have yet to catch one of those, but that's my goal this year.  

Hopefully this information is useful and let me know if anyone is near this area and wants to venture out after the shad/striper run is over.
Eric

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/8455d1d9-08ea-48d0-b4af-2cc157019b30%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment