Thursday, August 25, 2016

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Inflatable Pontoon Boat

bump** Misha- have you floated any tailwaters like NB Potomac in your FoldCat? I'm considering purchasing one for ease of storage but have never seen one on moving water. How would you rate it? 

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 at 6:31:54 PM UTC-5, Misha Gill wrote:
Hi Jeff,

I have the Sea Eagle Foldcat the two person frameless pontoon offered by Sea Eagle. It's bigger than the single person frameless pontoon but I'll do a pros/cons list for you.

Pros:
-Fits in the back of my Mazda3 (trunk has a gap to the back seat that i push the boat through when I put the back seat down). For comparison, my boat's deflated dimensions are 56" x 21" x 10".
-Comfortable bass boat seats that swivel
-Great for float trips.
-Stable - we stand up to cast on it all the time. with the swivel seats it means we can cast in any direction at any time. 
-Electric motor attaches easily.
-Very high floating with a shallow draft. I've taken friends >250 lbs out fishing on it.
-Indestructible material 

Cons
-Not very maneuverable, for a couple reasons. First, it doesn't track well. Second, it doesn't move too briskly with the oars, although that might be different for the single person boat . It's great when you can use the trolling motor, but often times you are using the boat to float over shallow areas - note that this is the same problem that any boat would have. Personally, I don't have any problems with the rowing bc I used to row crew, but it takes my non-rower friends a while to get the hang of it.  In contrast to HeaveToo, however, I find it to be much dryer than my kayak because your never tipping the oars above your head (the resulting drip gets on your everything). 
-Takes up more space than my inflatable kayak.

So as you can tell I have both the inflatable pontoon and kayak. I live in a condo too, but my fiancee won't let me keep the FoldCat in our place. I was thinking of selling it, but I'm storing it at her parent's house now so the problem is solved. I don't know what your storage situation is but I used to keep it in a little storage locker when we lived separately and that was great. I have a lot of accessories for the boat, which I invested a lot of time and thought into getting the perfect setup so I was glad not to sell it. But all the accessories actually take up just as much room as the boat. (my accessories: a trolling motor, a marine battery, an anchor, and 2 lifejackets).

Hope that helps.

Misha

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/e0769810-7643-40e5-bf5c-450b0d1aee30%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment