Friday, August 19, 2016

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Fringe trout behavior

Another thing that occurred to me is that it could be that the nymph is pulling the fly down into the file a little bit and that's where the fish liked their food.

On Monday, August 8, 2016 at 7:20:15 AM UTC-4, TurbineBlade wrote:
I made a couple of observations over the past couple of weekends that I thought I'd run by more experienced trout folks on here.  

One, is I was "prospecting" with a terrestrial dry and not getting any takers.  Thinking that I'd add a dropper to possibly get more takes from fish which were reluctant to commit to the surface (water was a little stained too), I tied the usual beadhead a couple of feet blow the dry and tried that.  Drifting again through the same lane I suddenly have fish foolishly, falling over themselves going to the surface to take the dry fly (not the nymph).  (?)

Anyway, it's counterintuitive but interesting.  The only thing I can figure is that they are triggered by the nymph, but see the dry while moving toward it and get more excited, and then decide to go to the surface when they wouldn't do it before.  

The second, is that I need to really, really better my streamer game for trout.  I enjoy fishing dries, and duo rigs, wets, etc. but seldom take any time to fish streamers (aside from stockers, which I don't really count here).  Ironically, I pretty much only fish streamers for warm water.  

Yesterday we had several nice pools to ourselves and again had slightly stained water, and I'd only hooked one small brown on a nymph.  Nothing else was taking, and only a few sparse rises were going on (looked like nymph "boils" a few inches below).   I tied on a huge leech for lack of better idea, and in a few pools had huge "flashes" from nice trout and a couple of chases, but no bites.  It's always better to get hit of course, but getting interest in sections where you aren't getting anything is still interesting.  

Is the streamer game a lot of activity and fewer actual hits most times?  I know there are folks who enjoy streamer fishing enough to actually arrive at a stream and think "I'm going to fish streamers first, and then try something else" which is bizarre to me.  It really shouldn't be though, because I can see how streamers elicit some reactions from nice trout that other techniques do not.  Also, for a person with 1-2 hours of time to fish streams where he formerly had 7-8 hours, I can see streamer fishing being ideal ;).  

Beth spotted a massive rainbow and I could barely pry her away from the place, hunger be damned.  He wouldn't take though.  

Gene

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/fd734ef0-9312-438a-ab93-eeb3ceeef2c8%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment