Sunday, August 21, 2016

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} OBX Fly-Fishing

 
Josh,
I was in Duck about three weeks ago (Barrier Island Station Aug 6-7).  There was plenty of bait (about 1" to 1-1/2") in the water in the surf with some large pods of fish breaking on them just out of spin casting range.  I was there with young grandchildren and even though I brought the eight weight it didn't get out of the car (neither did my metal detector).  If you are before Labor day there will be lots of folks on the beach and that's never good for fly casting.  If you walk north on the beach to the research pier you can lose some of the crowd.  Even though I didn't fish I tied some white rabbit fur bunny flies for the flounders.  At low water you can easily cast from the shore over the trough that seems to always be there and with that much bait there had to be some flounder under them.  You will need some kind of basket or some type of line management system otherwise the surf wraps the line around you feet.  Don't forget the salt water fishing license - $10 for week.  Good Luck.



Bruce Mathews
703.772.7167


On Sunday, August 21, 2016 8:42 AM, Josh <joshua.frank.hanson@gmail.com> wrote:


Has anyone ever fished in Curittuck Sound or the surrounding area; can you offer any advice?  

I will be in Duck at the end of August for a couple days and was interested in doing a little fly-fishing (but any type of fishing advice will do).  I did some research and the sound is considered fresh water, although brackish might be the better term, so I'm not sure what species I could be targeting.  Apparently there is very good saltwater fly-fishing further south near Oregon Inlet on the Albermarle sound but that may be a bit far from where I am staying given the short fishing windows I might have, but I'll make the drive if it is really worth it.  I was planning to bring my 8 wt. rod with me, I have both sinking and floating line, but have only used it in freshwater.  

Access areas, recommended gear/flies, and techniques would be much appreciated.

Thanks, 

Josh
--
http://www.tpfr.org/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/f385b500-32b0-43f7-a9bf-8f2de432c072%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


No comments:

Post a Comment