Monday, June 20, 2016

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Little Seneca Lake report

Black rat snake for certain.  I moved one out of my shed yesterday actually that was hanging around a bucket of bird seed.  Note that I only moved him to avoid him startling Beth, and enjoy that he's hanging around and likely removing house mice for me.  He's always welcome in my backyard. 

Good report and nice bass for Thomas!  It's been a good season for largemouth bass all around it seems.  I got another one yesterday that was a dandy as well.

Hey, you can also remove the seat spacers (dowel rods) on either seat and raise the sucker up if you want.  I prefer sitting higher since my canoe is really just a fishing platform.  By removing the spacers, you get less seat torsion and a more powerful paddling stroke at the expense of reduced stability.  Since I stand off the front about 50% of the time, stability isn't my primary concern ;). 

Try putting a medium cooler in the center of your boat and you'll get a lot less stuff rolling around. 

Canoe fishing is about all I want to do this time of year.  And I would have at least considered eating the bluegill for sure!  Why catch 'em twice when you can eat 'em once?  No -- I take probably fewer than 50 sunfish a year and virtually nothing else (i.e., catch and release).  Since I'm permitted that number per day, I consider this a de minimis activity. 

For drinks I tend to just set a bottle of Gatorade or something right behind my seat and it tends to stay put decently enough.  Several other waters, and usually food go in the center cooler until we pull off somewhere to eat. 

Note that I prefer stringers on a cord, and not the basket type.  The latter makes paddling a lot more difficult.  Also, punch the "pin" on the stringer through the bottom lip of the fish -- DO NOT GOT THROUGH THE GILLS.  They live a lot longer if you just go through the bottom lip. 

Gene



On Monday, June 20, 2016 at 8:40:56 AM UTC-4, tperkins wrote:
Don't forget the about the fawn you almost stepped on...

On Monday, June 20, 2016 at 8:27:40 AM UTC-4, Scott S wrote:

Greetings - I hope everyone had a wonderful (fishy) weekend! 

Thomas and I tested out my new canoe on a outing to Little Seneca Lake Saturday morning. I'd fished there twice previously with very little to show for it. I think he'd been there once before with similar results. So despite knowing that there are some big fish in that lake, I think we both went in hopeful but with reasonable expectations. 

We got an early start and arrived at the put-in a few minutes before official sunrise, to find there were already a few boats on the water. Unsure where to go and feeling a little overwhelmed at the size of the lake, we decided to explore the section north of the bridge. We paddled into the rising mist until we found some standing timber that looked both eerie and fishy. 

 We fished popper/droppers all around the stumps with good success. After catching a small perch, and handful of small bluegills and a juvenile largemouth, Thomas cast right against one of the bigger stumps and had a big blowup as soon as his rig hit the water. After a short fight, he brought to the net a personal record largemouth bass!


We each got one more largemouth (smaller than that beast), and a few descent bluegills (that Gene would have no doubt eaten. Probably right there in the canoe.).





Oh yeah, and on one of our shore breaks, Thomas came eye-to-eye with (what I'm guessing is) a Rat snake chilling in a tree.


Overall a very successful trip! I learned a few things about the canoe, too - mainly that I need to do something about storage as we had stuff rolling around all over the bottom of the boat. I'm thinking I'll start with a milk crate just for containment of the bulky stuff. And I need something to keep water bottles out of the way but still handy.  ​

--Scott



--

================================================

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/c8ac2c0d-592e-4e01-a5ec-84acfe12f775%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment