Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Looking for BVI fly fishing info

Damn, that is ridiculous.  I would have ended the day right there.  Nobody deserves that especially when you are paying the kind of money those guys charge. 

I have heard of a couple of tough guides and fished with one who I was warned about but even he was fine (and an outstanding fishermen on top of it).  As far as knowledge and angling skill the guys I have fished with in the keys blow away guides I have fished with anywhere else. 

On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 6:14:43 PM UTC-4, Jeff Silvan wrote:
I'm basing it off personal experience, and clearly we've had different experiences. I've never found a good tarpon guide and actually personally haven't met anyone that mentioned they have found a decent tarpon guide in the Keys. That's why I said make sure you vet them with someone that's fished the guide before. I had a guide curse at me and call me an idiot because I didn't see the fish 150 feet away that he was trying to point out. I had another that despite making about 20 perfect casts in a row, when I made one poor one and spooked a fish and he cursed at me and told me I was wasting his time if I was going to cast like that. My experiences in the Keys for Tarpon have been so soured that I'll probably never go back, and if I do, I'll make sure to hit you up for some good recommendations.

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Yambag Nelson <northstreet...@gmail.com> wrote:
What are you basing this on?  I have fished the keys quite a bit with a few different guides and they have all been great.  One I would go as far as to say is the best guy I have ever fished with period. 

To say that the majority are not enjoyable seems like a huge overstatement.  Maybe one or two, but there are too many good guides down there for anyone to pay $600 a day to put up with a  jerk. 

On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 3:36:58 PM UTC-4, Jeff Silvan wrote:
I can't provide a whole lot of info on BVI. If you're looking for somewhere to get with miles easily, you might want to try Puerto Rico. Fly guides aren't as common there, but you can find it.

If you choose the keys, make sure you go in knowing exactly what you're getting into. The majority of Keys tarpon guides simply are not enjoyable. You'll get yelled at if you miss a cast and they'll generally make you feel like you're a bad human being for not being perfect. If you've never done flats fishing - or only have minimal experience - I'd think twice about the Keys. That being said, I'm sure there are people on the forum that have had much better experiences, so if you choose to go that road instead, be selective and only use guides that someone has already vetted personally.

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Ashley Frohwein <ashleyf...@gmail.com> wrote:
I could stick with Islamorada, but that would entail a ~16 hour roundtrip drive (to and from Jacksonville). I can use frequent flyer miles to get to the BVI, and have a friend with a boat there, so I'd have a free place to stay. But I'd be a bit more excited about the keys. I'm still trying to make up my mind.

Thanks for the input, Misha!

On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 2:38:25 PM UTC-4, Misha Gill wrote:
My question is why not stick with Islamorada and chase big migratory tarpon?

Off the BVIs you could probably do some sick blue water fishing for sails and dorado. Not sure what else would be around but yeah I don't think the BVIs are renowned for their flats. Good coral reefs yes but not necessarily the best shallow water destination.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/89eae575-b7a1-46df-8b74-e1a4a09cb21a%40googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/8bb24378-9273-4ab6-b5db-1e1b727c625a%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/52fc5f50-df98-422f-8c75-8fd0febcc039%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment