Tuesday, November 25, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Finally got my grass carp

Carp stories are fun!  Beth and I have landed some in the 20+ pound range, though all were on (secret) jiffy dough bait on spinning tackle, usually with 8-pound mono.  Beth caught a good one on the Potomac a while back and I posted the picture here at some point -- he was hard to lift!  

I hooked a fairly large one (maybe in the 10-15 pounds range) this spring on fly tackle (3-weight.....obviously I wasn't planning for carp) and lost him under some bridge pylons after getting pulled around quite a bit in my kayak.  I posted a report about it, and had a 'revenge' of sorts on the next day....though they weren't too large.    

Of all the fish I miss catching regularly, carp are at the top of the list.  I've only landed 2 on fly gear (I think?) and both were medium-sized, one of which really had a lot of fight on that 9' rod.  I was literally worn-out after leaning on him for so long....and the repeated "resurgences" after beaching the sucker were ridiculous.  

I love carp.  You have a real gem if you have family property with grass carp roaming about in the backyard.  We had some large grass carp at the hatchery and when we drained the solar pond and had to transfer them around to other ponds, it was almost unbelievable how strong they were.  I can picture your delight in fighting one on fly tackle.  

Gene

On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 12:06:08 PM UTC-5, namfos wrote:
Nice!

Mark

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/85169ddb-143f-48ee-80a0-f0af580d3205%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment