Friday, November 21, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Forage Fish Management

Hello all!

I was fortunate enough to attend the last beer tie and talk about some issues facing forage fish and their management in the mid-atlantic region.   I don't think I put anyone to sleep, so I consider that a success! 

For those that weren't there and didn't hear about it, I'm a Coastal Conservation Association- Maryland volunteer.   I am the Chair of the CCA MD Government Relations Committee, The Annapolis Chapter President, the Vice Chair to the Sport Fisheries Advisory Commission to MD DNR, and an advisor to ASMFC on Striped Bass and Menhaden.  

If you haven't seen CCA MD's most recent issue of "Tightlines", our membership newsletter, then please check out the article I wrote on unmanaged forage and what we as rec anglers can do to ask for some positive steps forward in forage fish management.   http://www.ccamd.org/?p=2140

As the article mentions, the Mid Atlantic Fisheries Management Council will meet in Baltimore on Dec. 8th from 1:30-5:30.   I am hoping that a number of recreational anglers can provide input on the issues through letters or phone calls, and I hope to see a number of anglers there to either testify, or simply support those like me who will testify that day.  It would be great if TPFR could write a letter as a group on the issue, and I will gladly assist in answering any questions you all may have both on the forum, or via email or phone calls. 

If you have any interest in fisheries management and haven't been to a council meeting before, this would be a great way to get your feet wet and see what it's all about.

CCA Maryland has a "fish first" approach to fisheries management, because if we don't properly manage for the fish, then how can we expect to be fishermen with fish out there to catch???   The more I discuss this forage fish issue, and the recent striped bass changes with anglers in the region, the more I realize that many share our basic mentality on what fisheries management should look like.  If you haven't heard of CCA MD and would like to know more, let me know and I can get you added to our contact list, or join the organization!   It's only $25 a year and includes all sorts of benefits. 

I hope TPFR members see forage fish as an important issue.   In tidal and non tidal waters alike, it's important that we manage for a diverse food web and a properly functioning ecosystem.   Habitat, clean water, etc are all important issues as well and are those which we also work with a number of partners on supporting.  

Let me know if anyone has any questions or concerns. 

Regards,

David Sikorski
443-621-9186
davidsikorski@ccamd.org
davidsikorski@mac.com

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/1f5aa8af-8ebd-4911-bd94-047b020d2baa%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment