Thursday, November 27, 2014

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Wet fly season has arrived (for me)

Very nice.


Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 27, 2014, at 11:41 AM, TurbineBlade <doublebclan@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey -- this is the time of year that I switch over to working wet flies at a lazy pace along the tailwaters in the region.  Even on the coldest days I've generally been able to get *some action on wets around here.

Part of the reason I decided to learn how to fly fish was my fascination with wet flies, particularly soft hackles.  I had not seen a spinning lure that looked quite so alive as a simple soft hackle, and I wanted to learn what they were, what they imitate, what they might catch, etc.  They're just great flies. 

I mostly tie them in size #14 and probably have close to a 1,000 sitting in boxes in various places.  In riffles, #12 and 10s also work well...and I have some tied to #16-20s though I rarely use them.  Herl, wire, beads, partridge, pheasant, hare's ear, that Pearsall's Grizzy generously brought me, etc. I like them all.  They can be fished virtually any way from what I understand, though I mostly fish them on the swing, in a duo rig, and twitched with the rod tip (not the line hand) for warmwater species. 

I also felt guilt over disparaging bucktail -- so I tied a few with squirrel tail for kicks to center my chi.  The rabbit strip streamer is my go-to streamer though.  I got some crappy hide and began cutting it into strips and it works fairly well. 

Anyway -- I just had the camera on me earlier and felt like taking a few pics.  I hope everyone has as great Thanksgiving! 

Dingle! 

Gene 


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/a00c0016-1e5e-44a7-affd-4dac9ff5b147%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
<20141127_104534.jpeg>
<20141127_104254.jpeg>
<20141127_105016.jpeg>
<20141127_104202.jpeg>

No comments:

Post a Comment