Wednesday, August 6, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Solid Couple of Days...(Gunpowder and Seneca Creek)

I second the western Maryland recommendation.  The North Branch below Jennings Randolph and Savage are very close (the Savage actually empties into the NB).  There is camping at Barnum, WV (right along the NB) and in the Savage River State Forrest.  The Savage River State Forrest also has numerous mountain streams that are great for brookies.  I was out there this past weekend and caught 12 on Sunday afternoon on the Savage.  Water is a bit low but still good fishing.
 
Its 3 hrs on the nose to drive out there but it can be a little longer come back into DC given traffic circumstances.
 
 
 
 
 

On Sunday, July 20, 2014 6:38:43 PM UTC-4, Jason Hanerfeld wrote:
I had a few days off of work this week so I decided to head up to the Gunpowder River to give it a go.  I parked at masemore road and fished my way up almost to the prettyboy dam.  Landed a couple of decent browns, all of which were on nymphs, and had one that was about 13-14 inches.  Spent some time fishing with caddis and terrestrials but couldn't get any action on dries.  Around the bridge at falls road I saw tons of decent sized fish, and a few large ones, that were laying on the bottom.  I threw nymphs and streamers at them but couldn't get them to move.  Are these carp?  Does anybody know?  

Today I decided to head out to seneca creek, right below river road, to see if I could find any fish there.  In only about 2 hours I caught a smallie, a few largemouth, a rockbass(which was my first),  countless bluegill, and what I think was a red breasted sunfish.  All bass were on a chartreuse clouser size 4, and many of the bluegill were on poppers and terrestrials.  Was a great time and will hopefully be back out there soon.

Also, I'm looking for a place somewhere in Virginia, West Virginia, or Pennsylvania, within a 3 hour drive or so of DC to do some backpacking, camping, and of course a lot of fishing, preferably for trout.  Does anybody know of any good trails/trout rivers where camping is permitted within 3 hours or so of DC??

Thanks,
Jason  


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/90c66a9d-8820-4186-91ea-53111c16c527%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment