Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Digest for tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com - 11 updates in 6 topics

I fish the South Park area of Colorado every year and really have fun fishing the Tenkara on smaller streams. It's pretty effective, too. I mostly use it on the high meadow streams, though. 

Sent from my iPhone

On 19/08/2014, at 7:18 am, tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com wrote:

Jeffrey Silvan <jeffreysilvan@gmail.com>: Aug 18 04:30PM -0400

I remembered that I never shared the video from the trip. For those
interested, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdcgofDKXwc
 
I've always worn the chest mount, but it tends to get pretty shaky and I
often lean downwards as I'm stripping in the fly, which doesn't lead for
good strike videos. Anyone have any better ideas for self-filming?
 
 
On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Jeffrey Silvan <jeffreysilvan@gmail.com>
wrote:
 
Joe Mathews <joseph.t.mathews@gmail.com>: Aug 18 08:54PM -0700

Sweet vid! I was wondering why that fish wasn't running, but then a couple minutes into the fight it saw the boat and freaked out! Looked like an awesome trip. That GoPro takes awesome video. Is that the Hero 3+? I thought about getting one to film my Utah trout shenanigans, but it would probably jinx me.
Terry C <flycstrva56@gmail.com>: Aug 18 11:33AM -0700

So after a lesson in spey casting and a fair amount of practice over the
past 6 months I feel that I have progressed from the "I suck at this
stage", through the " I'm not as bad at this anymore stage", to the " I
think I can do this stage", to the "ok I'mcomfortable throwing a variety of
casts stage".
My question is: with an 11ft. 8wt. switch rod how far would an
average to good caster be able to throw a fly. I marked my running line in
10 ft. increments and have a 33ft. head and at this time I am able to cast
fairly nice loops/ casts out to about 70 -75ft. on a regular basis with
several different casts. Is this about what I can expect from an 11ft.
switch rod? I feel I will be more than able fish anything I will need to
at this point. Anyone with opinions / thoughts ?
Yambag Nelson <northstreetwreckingcrew@gmail.com>: Aug 18 02:32PM -0700

That is plenty for the majority of fishing situations.

As far as what you could do with it, I'm sure there are people out there
who could throw way over a 100ft with that thing.
 
On Monday, August 18, 2014 2:33:07 PM UTC-4, Terry C wrote:
 
Rob Snowhite <rob@robsnowhite.com>: Aug 18 02:46PM -0700

I brought a 6wt and an 8wt 11' switch and a few 9' 8wt rods to the Salmon River last year. I ended up fishing the 9' rod with a Rio Outbound short. Roll casting was super easy. Never felt the need to bring out the big sticks even while swinging. When its crowded up there a long rod and line belly just take up too much space.
 
 
Rob Snowhite
 
 
________________________________
From: Yambag Nelson <northstreetwreckingcrew@gmail.com>
To: tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2014 5:32 PM
Subject: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Switch rod expectations

 
 
That is plenty for the majority of fishing situations. 
 
As far as what you could do with it, I'm sure there are people out there who could throw way over a 100ft with that thing. 
 
On Monday, August 18, 2014 2:33:07 PM UTC-4, Terry C wrote:
So after a lesson in spey casting and a fair amount of
practice over the past 6 months I feel that I have progressed from the "I
suck at this stage", through the " I'm not as bad at this anymore
stage", to the " I think I can do this stage", to the "ok I'mcomfortable throwing a variety of casts stage". 
>      My question is:  with an 11ft. 8wt. switch rod
how far would an average to good caster be able to throw a fly.  I marked my running line in 10 ft. increments
and have a 33ft. head and at this time I am able to cast fairly nice loops/
casts out to about 70 -75ft. on a regular basis with several different casts.   Is this about what I can expect from an
11ft.  switch rod?  I feel I will be more than
able fish anything I will need to at this point.  Anyone with opinions / thoughts ?
--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/94db1dd5-9521-4050-ba35-7f08a4ef9dfd%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
"Carl Z." <carl.zmola0@gmail.com>: Aug 18 07:04PM -0400

I'm not a spey guy yet, but I'm going to stick my neck out with an opinion
anyway. I would also think that the line/head is going to make a
difference. with a 33' head, you're limited to what is going to shoot out.
 
 
Also, a clean 80' cast is going to cover a lot of water. I think that you
have a good excuse to buy a 13' rod.
 
Carl
 
Laura Johnston <ljfromvt@gmail.com>: Aug 18 10:57AM -0700

If so, please send me an email ljfromvt@gmail.com or give me a call
703-819-2221
 
Thanks!!
HermanyorFlorida <m.herman.yam@gmail.com>: Aug 18 10:43AM -0700

Not that it work all that well with the fly rod, but I have seen a striper
caught, over the railing in the middle of the pedestrian bridge.
 
On Monday, August 11, 2014 8:53:33 AM UTC-4, Paul Kalajainen wrote:
Daniel Davala <daniel.davala@gmail.com>: Aug 18 02:07PM -0400

It can be done. Here is a report I put up back in 2010:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/bIep25hmCEE/2dGQr7W9x4sJ
 
That said, I cannot in good conscience recommend wading under the 66 bridge
as it as a very soft bottom and getting stuck in the mud (i.e. drowning) is
a very real possibility. In the years since that post, I have had some
good mornings fishing the tidal flow between the abutments from a kayak
with a sinking line and a half & half.
 
Dan Davala
 
 
On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 1:43 PM, HermanyorFlorida <m.herman.yam@gmail.com>
wrote:
 
Yambag Nelson <northstreetwreckingcrew@gmail.com>: Aug 18 06:45AM -0700

Either will work. I use an 11 foot switch up there but plenty of people use
full 13+ ft speys. If it is a regular trip I would just go ahead and buy
one as the fact that you are considering it says you will make
the investment at some point. Might as well do it now. FWIW, since taking
up the spey a several years ago I have had absolutely no desire to nymph
for steelhead.

As an aside, I would delay your trip a few weeks and go in November if
possible.
 
On Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:49:57 AM UTC-4, Terry C wrote:
 
Kevin Chaney <chaneykj@gmail.com>: Aug 18 04:38AM -0700

TPFRs,
 
I'm heading to Colorado to do some backpacking in RMNP next week with my
brother (Wild Basin / Pear Lake / Hutcheson Lakes and the Fern Lake area) .
I checked the forum and found some details about others who have done the
trip. One of the posts mentioned bringing but not using a tenkara rod...
 
I have a 12 ft tenkara rod I was going to bring in case my brother
struggles with the fly rod, but also because it's fun!
 
I was curious if anyone had a good experience using a tenkara rod in the
park? I'm thinking the 12ft could be too big for the smaller streams in the
park we'd be fishing.
 
-KC
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment