Friday, August 22, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Golden Stonefly

As promised, a picture of a White Fly aka White Miller (IMAG1295 is the best shot Dan). Kinda tricky getting a photo of these suckers.. I was lucky to find one in a spiderweb, so he was a little more cooperative than the flying flies. I did save him from his doom and he eventually flew away fine. The emergence wasn't super strong last night, although I did muse to Helen that might have been because our location was not ideal habitat. We fished the Needles for about an hour beforehand (caught a few of the predominant year class of smallmouth bass - all on my Crawdizzle!) and then moved up to the slow water above the rapids around 7:45 pm. We fished white boogle bugs with modest success, landing a few sunnies. I did have a big fish on briefly though. It was cool, she sipped my boogle bug like a trout. Had no idea of her size until I came tight. Helen and I had been trout fishing all afternoon and so I came tight to the fish like I was fishing a flying ant pattern. That wasn't a proper bass hookset and she twisted off after a few brief moments. I felt enough of her weight to guess her size at an easy 16"+.

Theory time! I wonder if the White Millers are white because of the lack of light in the sky when they emerge, and the occasional cloud backdrop. There was a cloud overcast during the entirety of my epidemiological study so evidence suggests. Additionally, They of the Conventional Wisdom do suggest that one use black surface flies at night.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/466a6183-b789-4e6c-877f-72cc21f475ec%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment