Monday, March 24, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: New rod/reel

Interesting thoughts from TPFRers on the 5wt.  I happen to use a 5wt almost exclusively on the Potomac.  I can throw nice sized stonefly nymphs, clousers and anything else in my box.  Maybe I am using the wrong flies.  I haven't gone after shad yet but I have a 9wt for surf/saltwater fishing that I plan to use.

With the 5wt from sunfish to smallies, I haven't had any trouble bringing the fish in and I get a good fight out of most.  I did get a 3wt to go after sunnies exclusively. 

I also use the 5wt out west in CO and Idaho.  I find it to be very versatile. 

When I was buying my upgrade rod, I found all kinds of advice from different boards...the consistent theme, pay as much as you can afford for the first rod.  I economized on a package for ~$100 of a no name brand and had problems from the outset.  I ended up upgrading to a nice older model Sage that i found on a different forum.  Places to look are stripers online and washington fly fishing classified and the well known auction site. 

Note to Dan...I thought there was an effort  underway to put a classified section for TPFR.  I understand and respect the no classified decision but...


On Monday, March 24, 2014 1:33:41 PM UTC-4, Jason Hanerfeld wrote:
I'm looking to get a new rod/reel combo for this summer.  Most of my fishing is for smallie's on the potomac in the fletchers area, along with the occasional carp and trout fishing.  I'd like to get a 5 WT so smallie's are still fun to fight, but I can still manage to haul in a big carp.  I'm looking to spend in the range of $200-450 for the rod and reel combined.  Any suggestions??  

Thanks,
Jason Hanerfeld

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/bc443143-2a63-47a9-a9f4-836d664d8c6f%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment