Monday, March 24, 2014

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} New rod/reel

Fragments of Opinion:

I've gone out with a 3-weight to target sunfish, and ended up catching catfish, LMB, perch, etc. and I've taken an 8-weight out to target carp and only caught sunfish with it. 

 I've fished several times for small trout using the same 8-weight and had absolutely no problems.

Don't 'Praise Yahweh' when fighting a fish (using only the tip end).  Do it like the guy in the picture does....but only if you own a boat.  If you're boatless, I can't help you.

Fly fishing for tarpon

Fitz Coker applies sideways pressure to a big tarpon, using his body position and the boat to make applying the pressure a little easier.

I think the 8-weight without question will throw ALL sizes of flies and into the wind better than lighter tackle.   

Light tackle is enjoyable to use and fishes a bit better in certain conditions to fish that would otherwise spook, but moderate/heavy winds will kill you and make you look like you don't know how to cast if people are watching.  

No streams in VA specify a minimum fly line grain weight, so it's totally up to you.  

Gene











On Monday, March 24, 2014 2:49:04 PM UTC-4, Scott S wrote:
First off, a 5-wt seems like much too small a stick for what you're talking about. I primarily fish an 8-wt (Orvis Frequent Flyer 7-piece) and I love it. It allows me to throw big flies and, since I never know what I'm going to hook in the Potomac, allows me to know that I'll have a pretty good chance of landing it. I've been happy with the feel of the fight, as well. I've definitely never felt like I'm just hauling a fish in without a fight. 

Check out this recent article on the Orvis Fly Fishing blog (no link since orvis dot com is clearly a commercial site):

Pro Tip: Choosing the Right Fly Rod for Your Quarry is Vital to the Health of the Fishery


--Scott



On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Jason Hanerfeld <jasonha...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm looking to get a new rod/reel combo for this summer.  Most of my fishing is for smallie's on the potomac in the fletchers area, along with the occasional carp and trout fishing.  I'd like to get a 5 WT so smallie's are still fun to fight, but I can still manage to haul in a big carp.  I'm looking to spend in the range of $200-450 for the rod and reel combined.  Any suggestions??  

Thanks,
Jason Hanerfeld

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/8ad94cb7-af66-4b1b-8ca6-438486ba30c4%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.



--

================================================

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/eb402805-03be-46c5-9a30-6efd5ce09fd8%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment