Sunday, February 23, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Florida fishing report, February 2014

Ernie,
 
I would probably be content fishing the waters of FL for the rest of my days. The wide variety of fish is certainly one of the reasons. Dalton and I fished the opposite banks of a large canal system by foot for about 45min, close enough to see that rods were bent but far enough away that we could not really communicate or see what the other was catching. When we linked back up I figured we had had about the same luck and I asked him, "Sooo, did you just catch about 15 Largemouth?". His response was a little shocking. "No, I got a Snook, a Gar, an Oscar, a Tilapia, a Cichlid...and some Bass."
 
That being said it was a great day out with Mark, he certainly put us on fish.
 
Vic,
 
That Lookdown at a size 2 clouser in either chart/white or camo/white. I tied with Steve Farrar's Flash Blend and could only get my hands on the camo color which was my go-to for the snook. I am color blind, but the camo looks close enough to olive for me. Problem was the flies lasted for 2 or maybe 3 Snook before they were completely shredded, and I was out of my go-to in pretty short order. I usually hook those Lookdowns with size 4-6 hooks. They don't get big but they look awesome. I caught this one last year or the year before, they are such a thin fish that they are actually somewhat translucent.
 
Miles,
 
We were plagued by 15-20 knot winds most of our trip as well, certainly makes for some interesting fishing and casting. I can tell by the grin in that photo that you love some Snook!

-Trent
 
 

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:03:48 AM UTC-5, Vic Velasco wrote:
You guys killed it!!!  What fly did the Lookdown take on?

Vic

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:30:14 PM UTC-5, Dalton Terrell wrote:
Trent Jones and I managed to barely escape the snow in DC last week and fly down to Florida for an extended Presidents Day weekend. We fished several days around Ft Pierce on foot and booked guides for the Everglades and Mosquito Lagoon areas. Fishing in the Everglades with Capt Mark Hall (http://www.flyfishpeacocks.com) was excellent, we hooked our first tarpon and snook along with 8 other various species. Ft Pierce provided some tough dock and wade fishing but we managed a decent number and variety of fish. Our last day the Mosquito Lagoon kicked our asses while we chased elusive redfish.

Hope you enjoy our pics.

D

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/68c3002b-0ec9-4095-b954-970fbb0a0f12%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment