Monday, February 24, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Boating the Chesapeake

A little more information.  I own a 30 foot sailboat currently.  I have cruised her all over the bay.  I pull an 8 foot hard fiberglass dingy behind me. 

I have anchored in some nice areas.  I sometimes take my dingy with the 2.5hp outboard out to fish from.  It does a good job in most areas of protected water.

One place that I have wanted to sail to and fish was Kiptopeake State Park.  You can anchor behind the ships there and fish around them.  It is deep water with a bit of current.  I am guess you need sinking line to get down deep. 

There is also a lot of people who fish the bay bridge.  That would be a neat trip and some people even fish them in fair weather in kayaks.

None the less I have my 30 foot sailboat for sale.  I will probably downsize to a smaller boat that I can put up on a trailer.  I will still be able to stay aboard her for weeks at a time and cruise to different areas. 

I have hit a full gale at Smith Point, VA.  This was the most fear that I have ever felt.  There were 8 foot waves coming out of the Potomac River (the direction I was going) and they were steep against the current.  I took breakers over the bow of my boat (some went to my cabin roof).  I beat into this for 5 hours before getting into the Coan River (the Coan may have some really neat fishing in it but I haven't explored it much). 

Get a boat that you will be safe in but you will still need to watch the weather and constantly monitor it.  Get familiar with what the clouds look like before a storm or a front.  The fronts in the spring and fall are really powerful.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/6dcdb643-5375-4134-bfea-2bf00d7dc0a0%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment