Monday, August 26, 2013

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Learning/teaching to fly fish: a question

After a 2-year hiatus, I'm headed back to Oregon in 6 weeks for a family fly fishing trip that will include 2 days of guides. I've got a 30-year-old nephew who lives in the area, has never fly fished, and will be joining us. To take maximum advantage of the guided trips, I figured I'd spent a couple of weekend mornings or afternoons with hiim to at least get him started with casting. That's a bit ironic, since I'm not very good myself. Happily, I'm a better teacher than flycaster. Even more happily, he's pretty much a natural athelete, so he was actually getting the hang of it in our first session on the grass.

Now I need to get him on the water, and I'm trying to figure out what the best option is. Our guided trips will be on drift boats where we can stand up, so my canoe isn't a good substitute for that. We'll also be doing some nymph + indicator fishing. I figure I can mimic that by getting him to cast poppers and teaching him a bit about mending. One way to go would be to rent a rowboat from Fletchers, where we could stand up. However, I have no idea how to fish Fletchers for anything but shad in the spring, so the odds of us hooking anything might not be very high. Which is another thing I'd like him to be able to practice (hooking, then playing a fish).

I could also do some wade fishing. I'm pretty sure I could put him on some smallmouth that way. However, now we're bringing other variables into the mix, especially: (i) tough footing on the slippery rocks; and (b) line that heads downstream while before you get a chance to shoot it out. But at least he'd be more likely to catch a fish.

Does that second option seem better to you all? Is there a better option still I'm forgetting about?

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/6dbd29a6-6992-428e-9def-02706570d805%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment