Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Digest for tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com - 14 Messages in 5 Topics

Senor Denito. Check out riverfront campground in Duncannon PA.  They rent canoes cheap and run a shuttle service up river. Can't go wrong. Now is a great time to go. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 27, 2013, at 7:24 AM, tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/topics

    John Kaden <johngkaden@gmail.com> Aug 26 10:03AM -0400  

    Hi my name is John and I am a carpaholic trying to raise a carpaholic.
     
    This beauty took a #6, white thread base, peacock hurl + wrapped in
    grizzled hackle. I had it floating as he circled it, gave it a tug to
    drop in the water column and game on. Great fight as he took me into the
    backing. Fought him in skinny water for about 10mins.
     
    Below is a pic of my 11 year old future carpaholic. Quarters are too tight
    for him to fly cast but he hooked up 2 on light spin tackle.
     
    Great day at Silver Lake.
     
     
     
     

     

    Jeffrey Silvan <jeffreysilvan@gmail.com> Aug 26 12:49PM -0400  

    I went back out this past Saturday. Lock 7-8 was really muddy this time, to
    the point where I could no longer see the fly more than about 6 inches
    below the surface. I saw a few carp follow it, but couldn't tell if they
    actually bit since it was so murky, so I decided to try the downstream side
    of lock 7. The water was much, much clearer. More follows, no bites. I had
    a mom and young child stop to ask what I was going after, then about 5
    minutes later the kid comes sprinting down the path to tell me he found a
    carp. Normally when people try to point out fish to me, I'd say thanks,
    I'll head that way soon, but I just couldn't not go back with the kid since
    he was so excited. He pointed out about a ~20 inch, 5 lb carp. Sure enough,
    the thing follows my fly on my first cast and swallows it and I nail him.
    He wasn't much of a fighter and seemed to prefer the dead weight style of
    battle, but still took me a decent amount of time to get him in. Of course,
    we got to the point I hadn't really thought about yet... What to do when I
    get the carp to the edge of the canal. I tried climbing down the edge, but
    still couldn't really get to it. I tried lifting him out by the leader, but
    of course that immediately snapped the line and he swam off.
     
    What do you all do to actually get the carp out of the canal? I figure I
    need to start bringing a net, but I'm still not sure I could have reached
    him with a normal landing net.
     
     

     

    Vic Velasco <velascovictorv@gmail.com> Aug 26 02:49PM -0700  

    The way I get the ones I hook up with out of the canal and up onto the tow
    path is to take note of the nearest washout - areas eroded by rainwater and
    cleared of brush. The washouts seem to be about a couple hundred feet
    apart - you can get down to the water much easier.
     
    Were the carp actively feeding when you were fishing? With the cooler
    temps we've been having, my luck hasn't been as good. I'll cast the fly
    nearly on top of the fish's head and I still won't get a take...
     
    I went fishing at Gravelly Point this Sunday morning - I could see several
    carp, but they weren't interested in playing tug-o-war....
     
    On Monday, August 26, 2013 12:49:46 PM UTC-4, Jeff Silvan wrote:

     

    chopchop28@gmail.com Aug 26 08:00PM -0700  

    I have a 37" guide net that I use to land carp in the canal. However, depending on how high the bank is, the net can be a bit short at times. Sometimes, I'm dragging the carp by the leader into the net because 37" is not enough.

     

    Misha Gill <misha4455@gmail.com> Aug 26 09:52AM -0700  

    Nice fish! The Susqy is a smallmouth factory this year. What'd you take him
    on?

     

    Nick F - Gaucho Fly <nfranzetti@gmail.com> Aug 26 12:12PM -0700  

    I havent fished the flats recently, but a buddy of mine that fishes
    professionally for bass said he's been slaying really big smallies and
    largemouth in the channel edges there all summer... good luck if you go.
     
    On Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:18:27 PM UTC-4, Danny Barrett wrote:
     

     

    Nick F - Gaucho Fly <nfranzetti@gmail.com> Aug 26 12:09PM -0700  

    Thanks. This one hit a #2 Olive CK Clawdad. Had my best luck bouncing them
    off the bottom on a dead drift on deeper slower water. Also did well during
    the evening on a blue popper. Lots of nice fish throughout the trip. Highly
    recommend a trip up that way...
     
    On Monday, August 26, 2013 12:52:04 PM UTC-4, Misha Gill wrote:
     

     

    Senor_denito <feliciano.den@gmail.com> Aug 26 07:34PM -0700  

    Very healthy bronze back you got there. Never aimed at targeting smallies
    yet, I would like to go for them before the year's end. Is there a "peak
    period" for them? Have yet to fish the Susquehanna any advice for someone
    who doesn't have access to any kind of watercraft and is limited to waders?
     
     
     
    On Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:10:04 PM UTC-4, Nick F - Gaucho Fly wrote:

     

    Brendan <brendanlilly@gmail.com> Aug 26 04:07PM -0700  

    been said several times but if you're using an anchor, especially in moving
    water -- *have a sharp/capable knife at the ready. * some of the time i'm
    able to dive down and recover, but don't build up an emotional attachment
    especially on the upper potomac.
     
    having used a variety of techniques i usually bring an anchor for the deep
    holes, but i prefer clipping the canoe to my belt or around my shoulder as
    i wade. this time of year the weed beds also make pretty good temp anchors.
     
    b
     
    On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:15:21 PM UTC-4, dubblehaul wrote:

     

    FlyTimesDC <Rsmothers@targetedvictory.com> Aug 26 01:29PM -0700  

    http://www.ccamd.org/?p=1814
     
    Next weekend, sept 7-8th.
     
    Anybody want to get a TPFR team going? A catch and release redfish/speckled
    trout tournament sounds like heaven right now. If anyone has a real boat
    and is interested, I'd be down to pay their entry fee/contribute gas money.
    If not, I'd be down to carpool up there and yak fish for the weekend since
    they have a category for that as well.
     
     
    Thanks,
    Remick

     

    Barracuda <omarksky@gmail.com> Aug 26 10:12AM -0700  

    After a 2-year hiatus, I'm headed back to Oregon in 6 weeks for a family
    fly fishing trip that will include 2 days of guides. I've got a 30-year-old
    nephew who lives in the area, has never fly fished, and will be joining us.
    To take maximum advantage of the guided trips, I figured I'd spent a couple
    of weekend mornings or afternoons with hiim to at least get him started
    with casting. That's a bit ironic, since I'm not very good myself. Happily,
    I'm a better teacher than flycaster. Even more happily, he's pretty much a
    natural athelete, so he was actually getting the hang of it in our first
    session on the grass.
     
    Now I need to get him on the water, and I'm trying to figure out what the
    best option is. Our guided trips will be on drift boats where we can stand
    up, so my canoe isn't a good substitute for that. We'll also be doing some
    nymph + indicator fishing. I figure I can mimic that by getting him to cast
    poppers and teaching him a bit about mending. One way to go would be to
    rent a rowboat from Fletchers, where we could stand up. However, I have no
    idea how to fish Fletchers for anything but shad in the spring, so the odds
    of us hooking anything might not be very high. Which is another thing I'd
    like him to be able to practice (hooking, then playing a fish).
     
    I could also do some wade fishing. I'm pretty sure I could put him on some
    smallmouth that way. However, now we're bringing other variables into the
    mix, especially: (i) tough footing on the slippery rocks; and (b) line that
    heads downstream while before you get a chance to shoot it out. But at
    least he'd be more likely to catch a fish.
     
    Does that second option seem better to you all? Is there a better option
    still I'm forgetting about?
     
    Thanks for any suggestions.

     

    Jeffrey Silvan <jeffreysilvan@gmail.com> Aug 26 01:54PM -0400  

    I'd worry about getting him casting before you start worrying about how to
    put the skills into practice. Bring him out to a field to learn to cast
    with far fewer external factors. All he needs to worry about is the cast
    itself. Once he has those basic skills down, bring him out on a wading trip
    and start trying to get him on fish. The drifts I've done for smallmouths
    are actually easier for me than wading, in my opinion, because you don't
    have to worry as much about mending, etc. since you're often moving the
    same speed as your line, but I could see how it would be challenging for a
    new fly fisherman since you have to be a lot quicker with your casts
    otherwise the target will be past you.
     
     

     

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/047d7b86c5b627d95904e4ec1f23%40google.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment