Monday, August 26, 2013

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Carp Addict

Hi my name is John and I am a carpaholic trying to raise a carpaholic.

This beauty took a #6, white thread base, peacock hurl + wrapped in grizzled hackle.   I had it floating as he circled it, gave it a tug to drop in the water column and game on.  Great fight as he took me into the backing.   Fought him in skinny water for about 10mins.

Below is a pic of my 11 year old future carpaholic.  Quarters are too tight for him to fly cast but he hooked up 2 on light spin tackle. 

Great day at Silver Lake.




On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Vic Velasco <velascovictorv@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi.  My name is Vic and I am a carpaholic.

I look for ponds outside of shopping malls (some good ones near Richmond), shallow flats at local lakes/reservoirs, and under mulberry bushes  throughout the man-made waterways.  And I cast ugly flies while gawkers admire my killer fishing skills.

Unless I am on a wadable mud flat (which has been rare - it takes too long to wash the 4 Mile Run smell off my waders - and I won't wet wade there...), I prefer to use a stout tenkara rod for carp (Daiwa Kiyose 43MF). 

Check out www.flycarpin.com for carp fly recipes.  The simpler the fly the better is what I've found - my best carp fly is a bread fly that sits low in the water just under the surface.  Use the strongest hooks you can get (Gamakatsu SL-45 Bonefish hooks in size 8 and 10 are my hook of choice) - lesser hooks will get straightened.  

I have wrestled my share of bonefish.  The path I took to figuring out their patterns, learning to cast into the wind and how to keep up with them to prevent them from wrapping a coral head to break me off was months worth of focused energy.  I thought there wouldn't be anything like that again... that was until I found carp.  These prissy, stuck up fish let you know who the bosses are - and although their fighting style is not as punchy and snappy as a bonefish, carp have good kung fu -

I am a carpaholic

On Monday, August 19, 2013 12:57:53 AM UTC-4, Jeff Silvan wrote:
Hi, my name is Jeff, and I'm a carp addict.

I'm not sure how I've missed out on carp for so long, but I got my first taste of carp on the fly on Saturday. I swung by Orvis and chatted with Dan on new places to try (locally, I rarely hit anywhere but 4MR), and he suggested trying carp at Lock 7. I took the advice, and ran into one of our fellow members, Jim (sorry if I'm remembering your name wrong). Jim was nice enough to give me the 411 on what to look for and how to attack them after I mentioned it was my first time.

The actual approach was incredibly similar to the limited flats fishing experience I have for tarpon. Find the fish, lead it, and don't screw up the cast. I spooked my fair share of fish, had at least one more spit the hook before finally getting my way. I had a very nice size one peel off the group after my fly. I watched the take and hit him. Unfortunately, the fight lasted no more than 10 seconds, since it took an immediate dive for a log and wrapped my leader up and broke free. That would be my only hook up with the golden bone that day... but I can't stop itching to get back out for some.

If you haven't given carp a look before... you need to reconsider. 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/JdausNDqp3U/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/725ed802-fca3-466c-a6d3-94e87c599e1d%40googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAMi8rV%3DoYSnSU%2B%2B%3DPTaD714-9XtutuMn5DGhPi%3DVvrHCPGMX5A%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment