Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Rapidan or Mossy?

I missed this post. Indian Draft is an excellent choice. Danny is also spot on with deep, deep nymphs. My usual rig for most sections (aside from Indian Draft, which is fairly shallow) is a small foam hopper with a hook bend-tied dropper of a psycho prince in about a #12 on 4' of 6x. Dredge every hole you see, especially deep eddies behind submerged boulders in the swifter water. Larger dries (#8-4) can bring explosive strikes in most sections, especially at the head of a riffle, from right where the water starts to drop off to about 20' up stream. Smallish streamers (#8-4 as well) will produce the biggest fish, especially when cast upstream through a rapid and retrieved hand-over-hand through it. Don't neglect to fish RIGHT AT the outflow under the dam. I enjoy throwing 4-5' streamers of SF fiber or marabou way up between the walls at the outflow (I bring my 8wt for this because of the wind and the fly size). That's the best spot to reliably catch the big 'uns in the tailwaters, hands down. 

Good luck, if you go. 

On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:52:38 PM UTC-4, Danny Barrett wrote:
Honestly I have never fished that section of the Jackson.  I know some guides and great fisherman who half love it and half hate it. So I have never made the hike in.  I normally fish from the town of Covington up to the dam.  http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/waterbodies/reports/2013-jackson-river-tailwater-map.pdf.  I hope that link doesn't violate any rules on the blog, but it highlights areas you can launch boats (or in my case get in and wade the around).  I have never had issues at these locations.  The couple that I have had the easiest wading is at Indian Draft, right below the dam, and there are a few swinging cable bridges on the river.  I cant find them on google maps or id highlight them.  But I havent had issues at them either.  In my opinion the name of the game up there is massively deep nymphs and streamers.

Thanks,

Dan Barrett
 
(540)-222-8064

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/e2281650-b0f3-440e-b8f1-105a339e90e1%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment