Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Carp Addict

Here's another try


Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 28, 2013, at 6:27 PM, Vic Velasco <velascovictorv@gmail.com> wrote:

Rob -

It may be just me, but I didn't see the picture.

Vic

On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:22:41 PM UTC-4, Rob Snowhite wrote:
Dodgy version of the Hammerhead Net. I'll get a better one soon. I saw two big cruisers behind SeaCatch this morning. A HUGE largie was hanging out by the boat above lock 3. It and the carp refused my offerings.

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=56489d6c07&view=att&th=140c280da7e73dd0&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9W2riQUq0TqW3uTefVEGvB&sadet=1377652814864&sads=FPInzGxOXUVQa0FvrIb70HXzavM&sadssc=1

On Monday, August 19, 2013 12:57:53 AM UTC-4, Jeff Silvan wrote:
Hi, my name is Jeff, and I'm a carp addict.

I'm not sure how I've missed out on carp for so long, but I got my first taste of carp on the fly on Saturday. I swung by Orvis and chatted with Dan on new places to try (locally, I rarely hit anywhere but 4MR), and he suggested trying carp at Lock 7. I took the advice, and ran into one of our fellow members, Jim (sorry if I'm remembering your name wrong). Jim was nice enough to give me the 411 on what to look for and how to attack them after I mentioned it was my first time.

The actual approach was incredibly similar to the limited flats fishing experience I have for tarpon. Find the fish, lead it, and don't screw up the cast. I spooked my fair share of fish, had at least one more spit the hook before finally getting my way. I had a very nice size one peel off the group after my fly. I watched the take and hit him. Unfortunately, the fight lasted no more than 10 seconds, since it took an immediate dive for a log and wrapped my leader up and broke free. That would be my only hook up with the golden bone that day... but I can't stop itching to get back out for some.

If you haven't given carp a look before... you need to reconsider. 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/8fa7ffef-5c4f-4872-a745-872197800421%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment