Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} fishing new orleans?

This may be too late, but hopefully not.

I'm a former NOLA resident. I've had bad experiences with Uptown angler. I lived in NOLA, on the Northshore, and in Baton Rouge.

Your best bet is talking to a few folks who are heading down south of the city and into the marshes for Reds. I might be able to get you a hookup on a free/super cheap deal if you shoot me an email. dgw0001@gmail.com

You have to get on Redfish in South Louisiana. That is the destination for them worldwide. I don't care what anyone says about Florida or the Carolinas, South LA is the single greatest fishery for redfish in the world.

You won't find anything in Pontchartrain without a boat. The lake was extremely polluted during the 70s and 80s and is barely starting to recover. Not enough progress to get your time's worth fishing from the shore, especially on the fly. You might be able to find something in City Park on the fly, but from my friends' tales the better bet is searching for carp in some of the canals around the city. A good buddy shattered a 6 weight on one in the Lakeview area.

Really hope I'm not too late chiming in for you, man. I'd love to share my knowledge of the area. Extremely passionate about getting more people fly fishing down there. Louisiana is a fantastic fishery from north to south, east to west, specie to specie. 

On Monday, March 18, 2013 2:56:08 PM UTC-4, Matthew Longley wrote:
Thanks everyone!  I talked with Uptown Angler, and unfortunately it seems like the options are pretty limited without a guide or a boat.  I've only got 5 or 6 hours, and trying to keep it low cost, so guess I won't be chasing down any redfish.  I'll check out City Park and Late  Ponchartrain and see how that works though.  Will post a report.

On Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:15:10 PM UTC-4, cg wrote:
I would ask the local shop about redfish opportunities.  

Charlie

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 12, 2013, at 6:45 PM, Jeffrey Silvan <jeffre...@gmail.com> wrote:

My girlfriend is from New Orleans, so I've spent a good amount of time down there - although not for fishing. First, as Jeff said, definitely call Uptown Angler. They'll give you better advice than any of us.

Adding my 1.5 cents, I imagine you're staying in the Quarter, so you'll have limited options without renting a car. Public transportation isn't great. There is a street car, and you can take it to City Park or Audubon Park. I'm not sure if you can fish at Audubon, but you can at City Park (bass, sunfish, crappie, cats, and even gar). I've only seen bait fishermen there, though. For the fly fisherman, it would be a challenge - water is usually murky, and think Tidal Basin from the people-behind-you factor with lots of trees too. You also can't fish there during spawning season. They also had an issue where a lot of the fish swam away when Katrina hit, and they're still working to bring the stocks back up. Interestingly enough, one of the lagoons is connected to Lake Ponchartrain (saltwater lake), so you do run into redfish and specks in there. The bus system is more expansive than the streetcar, but I've been told not to use it. Not sure if it is from a "it doesn't bring you anywhere worthwhile" perspective, or from a "you'll probably die" perspective. You can walk to the Mississippi from the Quarter, but I'm not sure how much luck you'd have finding a fishing spot, or even finding a bite with the fly rod. The section I've walked to is where the cruise ships, etc. have their port. Your best bet is probably getting out to the Mississippi Delta or Lake Ponchartrain, if you have time. 

If you're looking for a guide, I remember finding a few that offer transportation to and from the Quarter. Uptown Angler is one of them (and is reasonably priced for the area), and you meet at their shop which is about a 10-15 minute walk from the Quarter depending on where you're staying. They specialize in fly fishing (for redfish) as well. If you have the time and money, I'd really recommend going the guide route.



On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Matthew Longley <matthew...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've got to be in New Orleans for a buddy's bachelor party, and I kinda messed up my tickets and am leaving a full afternoon after everyone else.  I figure when life gives you lemons make limoncello, so I might just take my rod and try to get in a morning of fishing.  Anyone ever fished in or around new orleans? Ideally I could find something close to the city, because I'm short on time and transportation, but I could be convinced to pick up a rental car for the day.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/p3F-a5QeTxMJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/TLjhtHNo_PYJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment