Wednesday, May 25, 2022

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Prospects for fishing near North Shores Beach in Rehoboth

You might be able to find some flounder wade fishing the bay side of Cape Henlopen. Flounder will eat clouser minnows pretty aggressively. The ocean side has a few rock jetties that might be a good place to cast a fly rod from.

I've also had good luck with Bluefish and shad at Indian River Inlet on moving tides but they are usually feeding in the current rip which is well out of fly casting range - I needed a heavy spoon to reach the fish with spin gear. 

I've seen pictures of schoolie stripers caught in a place called Canary Creek near Lewes, but it looks like you need a boat to fish that area.

Don't overlook the freshwater fishing in Delaware in the weedy mill ponds. I had an enjoyable day there last weekend kayak fishing Burton Pond, catching 3 bass and 4 pickerel in under 2 hours of fishing.
On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 1:11:38 PM UTC-4 Josh wrote:
We are looking to head up to Rehoboth in June for a week or so and I was thinking about taking my 8 wt. with me to see what I could find wade fishing opportunities within 30 minutes or so of North Shores.  I've never fished in the surf with a fly rod, so I'd be interested in checking it out.  

I read through the threads on the forum about fishing near Rehoboth, but they are mostly about fishing later in the summer or the fall.  I was hoping that someone on here would have advice on places to fish, species to target, patterns, and when to fish for early- to mid-June.  

Also, is a stripping basket absolutely necessary? From my preliminary research, it seems that the answer is yes, but I'd rather not have to purchase one if I don't have to right now. 

Thanks, 

Josh

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/4f4f1e75-3163-4edd-9236-00261d4eb1ddn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment