Friday, May 27, 2022

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Monocacy Floats?

Been a few years since I've fished it, but always found better action farther upriver...if you scope it out on google maps there are several access points east or northeast of Frederick that should put you in an area with higher numbers of bass. During typical summer flows the current isn't too strong up there and you'd be able to paddle up a good ways.

On Friday, May 27, 2022 at 9:39:44 AM UTC-4 david.j.v...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi Everyone,

First time poster--and  new to the area after relocating from Oregon. I've been enjoying catching shad, stripers, smallmouth, carp, and largemouth all over the DMV. It's different from the excellent trout fishing we had in Oregon, but no less entertaining--maybe more so, since I'm trying to figure it all out. 

I fished the Monocacy for the first time for a couple of hours yesterday in the area around Park Mills Road. I found a few smallmouth willing to play, but the fish were in very specific areas (along no-current grass lines with a current seam that dropped into two to four feet of water). The place I launched had relatively few setups like this. I fished pretty hard along both banks and all around mid-current rocks, dropoffs, wood--all the usual smallmouth holding water, but the fish were pretty few and far between. 

I was hoping that folks might recommend a float with more productive water. Since I didn't have a shuttle yesterday, I was limited to the area about 1/2 mile in either direction from the launch. If there are areas where an upstream paddle in a kayak are feasible, that would be even better. The area I fished had pretty decent flow and a lot of shallower water. I was able to paddle through a good bit of it, but I hit a faster riffle around an island and basically came to a dead stop. Not asking for anyone's secret rock; just hoping to find a few places to poke around and figure things out. 

Thanks in advance,

Dave

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/b6429473-1a4f-43ea-a43b-2acb3b7a5cfcn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment