Saturday, May 8, 2021

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Fletchers - Still catching shad?

I stand corrected. If Mark says it, that settles it. He's forgotten more about shad than I will ever know. 

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 8:24:37 PM UTC-4 northstreet...@gmail.com wrote:
Run is definitely not done.  Once the water clears it should be good again.  

Good number of stripers around as well.

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 7:05:09 PM UTC-4 Mark Binsted wrote:
July 4 is hardly urban legend. Mike Alper was the guy and Joe Fletcher will back him up. My latest catch in the early 70's was June 20, June 9 more recently.

I'm a little disappointed in my buddy Lane. Alper's own records are meticulous.

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 2:37:30 PM UTC-4 Lane Thurgood wrote:
Sorry, it was Thursday morning that was rough. Cold, murky and windy. I didn't fish Friday.

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 2:31:00 PM UTC-4 Lane Thurgood wrote:
They're still around. The lightning fast hickory shad run is over, of course. But we're in the time of year I prefer. You can think. And appreciate what you get. And get a wider variety. Got a couple of slams this week--hickory shad, American shad, striped bass and white perch. I think until it gets too hot, we'll have several good days ahead of us. I did real well this past week up until the Thursday rains. Friday morning was tough with the water cool and murky, but my daugher and I managed a small mixed bag of hickories, a striper and an American.

For perspective, due to Covid-restrictions, we were stuck with shoreline fishing last year. Looking back through my notes, on May 18 last year in a morning before work, I took over a dozen hickories, several herring, 3 stripers and 3 white perch. On May 19, I got my first two Americans of the year along with 5 hickory shad, a herring and a 20" striper, all on a size 6 chartreuse sparkle grub with gold tail.

I've kept notes since 2010. I have taken shad in June in years past, but I can't say I've joined the July 4 club (perhaps urban legend, anyway).

No man, not time to quit yet. 

Tight lines.

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 12:10:24 PM UTC-4 RobSky wrote:
Trying to get out Wednesday, any recent reports?
Or is the run done?
Thanks 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/50796b64-cbba-44dd-81ca-6fafdcc74ac0n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment