Friday, May 21, 2021

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} DC Tidal Basin

The tidal basin is best fished on a changing tide.  Right around High tide has worked well for me (about 10 years ago).  You might also run into schoolie stripers if you fish a clouser.

I think you just have to put in some time to figure it out.   The whole wall from the bridge up past the MLK memorial and to Independence Ave can all be productive.   I've had a 3 pound catfish come up and take a woolie bugger near the surface.  You never know what you are going to get in the Tidal Basin.
Carl

--
Carl Zmola


On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 5:27 PM R H <robin.habberley@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
First time I've post, although I've been following a long for a while. I have a couple of questions which I hope this group can help with. I've been fly fishing for a little while but only recently decided to learn my local waters and not only fish when I have time to travel.

I was fishing the tidal basin this morning, the area around the bridge/inlet from the Potomac. I started with a sinking line and tried a woolly bugger and a deceiver - nothing biting. Saw plenty of fish.

I noticed lots of rises, looked like bass + two large gar, where taking flies on the surface so I swapped to a may fly pattern and then tried a couple of stimulator patterns. A few looked but nothing took. So any ideas on what I should have been trying? Or other areas I should be exploring from the banks around that area?

Maybe I should wait a few more days and throw Cicada fly under the over hanging trees? 

Robin
PS I noticed lots Shad a long the wall, they looked like they wanted to get out to the Potomac but couldn't (even tried a shad dart as I was leaving but they ignored that too).

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/22c441d1-bfe9-437c-9f92-066cce3380e9n%40googlegroups.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAK8gq%2BHoLUDRRSXWoiQH9nfAx0AUqFG%3DdfTL_oDa2jSm%3DL9CSw%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment