Wednesday, May 19, 2021

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Bass Fishing Getting Going

Thanks for sharing this technique, Jamie! I can't wait to try out those beautiful stealth bombers I got from you at the last Rappahannock show (just before the shutdown).

Last weekend I was on a local pond in Reston prepping for the Kids' Derby this Saturday and didn't see any beds in the shallows where I expected to. Strange. 

Best, 
Owen Williams

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 7:59:36 AM UTC-4 jkg...@gmail.com wrote:
To all:

For those interested in chasing bass, looks like the largemouth fishing is starting up.  I went to a local lake in VA this past weekend on Saturday and Sunday.  On Saturday I used a Murdich minnow on an intermediate line fishing weed covered flats.  Caught about a dozen or so bass.  The weeds covered the bottom, but stopped a foot or so below the surface, so I used the Murdich minnow because it floats, with the intermediate line and a short leader to get it below the surface but above the weeds.  Stripped it back fast to trigger the strikes.

On Sunday it was overcast and cooler.  I decided to take a chance and go with topwater, even though conventional wisdom says its too early for topwater.  I again targeted weed covered flats.  Bingo....the fish were hungry.  Landed over 30 largemouth, all on topwater.  Go-to bait was a bright yellow stealth bomber on a floating line.  And after they chewed that up, I switched to a white one.  But caught my largest on a Dahlberg diver.  I love the stealth bomber because it rests on the surface, but dives when you work it, while leaving a bubble trail.

And before you ask, no I did not target bass on their beds.  I saw lots of beds, but most were empty.  The few bass I did see on beds I left alone.  Also, that's why I was largemouth fishing.  I prefer smallmouth, but former guide and Shenandoah and Potomac River Keeper Jeff Kelble put a post on FB asking people to stay off the Shenandoah and Potomac this week because the smallies are on their beds.  Given the terrible spawns the past few years, I was happy to oblige.  Now let's hope we don't get any high water events.

Tight lines,
Jamie Gold

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/2db59921-f7ea-4053-aa99-32016e8cd2d9n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment