Monday, May 10, 2021

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Boat decision

Thanks for the shout outs Dalton and Andrew ahaha. I'll weigh in only to make the point that there is no such thing as a perfect boat, and as with anything fishing related, half the fun is figuring things out for yourself and dialing in your rig. I've listed the pros and cons of my FoldCat elsewhere on this forum, if you want to find it.  It has been a great boat for my last ten years of life circumstances, when I've moved around a lot, had small cars, lived in apartments and garage-less houses, etc. but it definitely has some compromises. If I lived on the Susquehanna I would get a jet boat. If I lived on the Bay I would get a center console bay boat. Really the wisest thing to do is to make friends with boats and let them feel morally superior for being the financially responsible party while you enjoy the benefit of fishing in the front of the boat. Or you can hire a guide and let someone else worry about all the logistics. Are you seeing how many ways there are to skin this cat? At the end of the day, go with you gut, purchase within your means, and get a boat that makes you excited to be on the water. 

On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 8:31:48 AM UTC-4 ken...@gmail.com wrote:
Chris, 

FYI you can flip the frame to raise the rowing seat though rowing gets compromised. 

Chris 

On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 11:06:31 AM UTC-4 Chris Young wrote:
I have a flycraft.  It is good on skinny water and very maneuverable on and off the water...easy to toss on the roof of your car, but (a) it is very tippy (could be an issue with a kid)....need to be pretty careful the first couple times you get it in any fast water...takes a little practice  and (b) its a massive pain in the ass to fish from the rowing seat....the way its set up is to be much lower than the casting seat.  So kind of depends on what you plan to use it for.  

On Sunday, May 2, 2021 at 8:38:49 AM UTC-4 eowill...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi, Matt, 

I don't own a boat (don't really have a place to store it), BUT

I would consider if you are using it mainly as point-to-point transportation or plan to cast for smallies from it as you drift, with occasional pull-outs to work a spot. If the latter, I'd certainly want to go with a raft with a larger and more stable floor. While it would be heavier and more awkward to maneuver (on the water and at the launch and take out), it would also be more stable through any seasonal rapids and probably more versatile all around. And soon enough your sons will be able to assist on these fronts. 

Curious to hear what those with actually experience of inflatables on these waters would say. 

Best, 
Owen Williams
 

On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 10:29:29 AM UTC-4 matt.h...@gmail.com wrote:
I know there have been discussions in the past but was hoping there might be some more up to date insight. I'm deciding between an aire traveler canoe or a Flycraft. I fish the Potomac, Shenandoah, rappahannock and Susquehanna mostly for smallmouth and am looking for a boat I can maneuver myself since I'll usually be alone or with my young son. I've seen some people mention Aire but not much on the Flycraft. Once you throw in frames, oars, etc the cost is pretty similar. Any thoughts or insight? I will put a small motor or trolling motor on either to be able to go up or downstream in calm areas. In a few years my boys will be big enough that I will want to take both of them. 

Let the opinions and thoughts begin...

Matt

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 7:11 AM <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Jim Boryan <jimmyboy...@gmail.com>: Apr 30 10:56AM -0700

If anyone is interested there will be a segment on Fox 5 news at 5:15 PM
about Fletchers Cove!! tune in!
...more
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-...@googlegroups.com.
--
Matt Haygood

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/98463713-23e5-447d-965a-9684daa1254cn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment