Tuesday, January 12, 2021

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Clear fly lines

 I picked up an airflo ridgeline clear floating line (6/7 wt) a few years back to help add some stealth in targeting snakehead.  I wound up not liking it much.  

The line is a polyurethane instead of the traditional PVC, which has a lot more stretch, which I was not fond of as it reduces sensitivity and makes it tougher to get the line off the water. 

The ridgeline part means that the line is not cylindrical but has ridges, which in theory reduce friction between the line and guides when casting, but in reality catch a lot of particulate from the potomac and turn the line an olive/brownish color instead of clear.

Perhaps in a different environment, where more give and was desirable and cleaner water was present it would be a good option, and I could imagine some of those, but I didn't find the potomac to be a good fit.

Similarly, I was not paid for my review or use.

Howard


On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 4:00:56 PM UTC-5 Dalton Terrell wrote:
Last winter I read a positive review of Monic's Henley clear fly line and decided to give it a go. The main use I had in mind was beach fishing for Snook, where the water is very clear and fish tend to be quite spooky, the thought is that the clear line would give me some advantage. I wasn't too familiar with clear floating lines, or really aware that they were made; I understand Courtland makes similar lines but the other manufacturers stick to clear intermediate or clear intermediate-tipped lines. I decided to order the 8WT line in late 2019, and more recently purchased the line in 10WT, though I haven't used the latter.

Despite not getting a chance to fish the surf, I did fall in love with the clear line for freshwater and backcountry saltwater fishing using it for the last year. I don't think there is a taper profile for this line anywhere, but I'd compare it to other all around saltwater lines--it's not a delicate long taper bonefish line, nor is it a bass or shooting head taper. The manufacturer says its half a line rating heavier than AFFTA standards, which is pretty typical, if not light compared to other manufacturers. The line is rated for 45 degrees and up, but I'd say it really shines in water 70 degrees and up, while it gets stiff and tends to tangle in colder water. Outside of the difficulties in cold, the line has been great; it casts and unrolls very well, and it seems more abrasion resistant than typical PVC lines. Unlike the typical white/blue saltwater lines, the clear line doesn't stain after a single day in the tanic waters of the everglades.

This line gives me a little more confidence that I won't spook fish. I don't think you could cast the line over the back of a laid up fish and hook it, but maybe it throws less of a shadow while casting and effectively lengthens your leader without hurting your cast. It's probably coincidental, but I've hooked my three largest backcountry snook to date with this line, loads of largemouth, several pike, tons of juvenile tarpon, and other fish in the last year.

For disclosure, I paid retail price for two lines from Monic, and have received no compensation for the review or use.

Anyone else have experience with these clear lines or those from another manufacturer?

Dalton

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/e9fe61a1-e7ad-47c6-8545-65a9eb688efcn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment