Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Clear fly lines

I was mistaken, there is clearly a profile of the line on Monic's site, I was looking at it on my work computer and the image must be blocked there.

On the tangle and coiling issue, I've found that the line starts to misbehave when the water is under 70 degrees, but is still manageable in the 60s. I'd assume it would be awful for trout fishing.

And to Howard's points, I assume this line is similar to the Airflo in stretchiness... you can definitely feel it stretch, even grabbing a 6 inch segment and pulling between your hands. But I haven't noticed it being more difficult to pick up line and haven't had issues with setting the hook or feeling bites, but YMMV. Monic doesn't specify the material, but asserts that it isn't PVC. It may be polyurethane like the Airflo.

I guess this thread is useless without pics, here is a picture of the belly of the 8wt line. It's pretty clear but definitely not magic—looks kind of like an offshore shock leader. It has five days of saltwater fishing since it was last washed with Dawn, with a mix of clear and tannic water but doesn't look dirty. You can see a small nick in the line, probably from a snook having his way with me under the barnacle-covered mangroves... my normal lines seem to get more of these nicks and scuffs.

However, after singing the praises of the line, I am noticing that it appears the mono core is starting to delaminate from the core near the welded loop. I'll keep fishing it and report back if there is further damage.


Dalton

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CACxGu2c9LJyDkDntzMHU46bvS%2BjEYvTXpjWb1%3D0YRdsPEVrf2w%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment