Friday, February 7, 2020

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Thailand Fishing Report

I just spent two weeks in south-east Asia taking in the sites, the sounds, the tastes, and the olfactory wonders of Thailand and Cambodia. I was also lucky enough to spend a few days chasing fish in the jungle of southern Thailand. And needless to say, it was freaking awesome. My host was Meik Lykke of www.thai-fishing.com . The fishing camp is rustic and very remote but very comfortable and the jungle itself was pristine and extremely wild. 


I cannot even begin to scratch the surface of what an amazing place this is to walk around in, let alone ply with a fly rod. Elephants crashing through bamboo, giant squirrels, river otters, gibbons and macaques, Wild cows and boars, huge monitor lizards, and some pretty cool birds as well. The Stork-Billed Kingfisher is unreal. Of course, the jungle harbors Malayan Tigers, Clouded Leopards, Sun Bears, and Cobras. However, I wasn't terribly let down to not have a run in with any of those critters. 


The cacophony of sounds that emanates from the jungle, particularly after the sun goes down, is mind blowing. It's the perfect background noise to dose off to after a long day on the water. I am not sure I was bitten even once by a mosquito. 


There is a good variety of fish to target in these waters including numerous species of Snakehead, Barb, Mahseer, and others. My focus was Thai and Blue Mahseer. They are a spooky, hard pulling, and gorgeous fish requiring stealth and long casts. In short, they are a bad ass game fish. I fished almost exclusively with dry flies on a 6 weight. And I ended up catching both Blue and Thai Mahseer as well as some Jungle Perch and Tinfoil Barb. All gorgeous fish that were brand new to me. As I said before I can't begin to explain how cool of a place this is. 


I know what some of you are thinking. You traveled half way around the world to sweat your ass off chasing a bunch of cyprinids in a jungle? Yes, yes I did. And quite frankly I plan on doing it again in the near future. I cannot recommend Meik and Thai Fishing enough. Please see attached photos.

 

-Trent Jones 

 

 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/467ccf5c-b35f-4ddd-bc16-9fbc3df0ab5c%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment